Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Being emotional is a foundational aspect of the Human Condition. Many times, human reactions, behaviors, motivations, memories and a lot more are based and driven by emotion. Consider why some images that remain in one's mind so very well and the initial emotional response they created during their viewing. Memories are often a result of an emotional response that becomes embedded into one's memory. This applies to a LOT more than just images viewed.

Another part of this discussion has begun to touch on another LFF thread started some years ago:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...man-expression

Bernice

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Please see my comment in the thread Safe Haven for Tiny Formats.

This one has been previously posted, from the mid 1990's but fits this discussion on images provoking emotions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chairs Chat_Bernice Loui_1991_sm.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	192481

Bernice

It does evoke emotion. Despair, loneliness, even hoplessness. Old age and how time will break you. I expect to see the spirit of those who lived there in the image. Well done.

I think we should update the title of this thread to allow for more than 1 submission a month, say one a day. The discussions of late have been really good. Would like to get more involved.

This is dichotomy to my garage image. Even a juxtaposition if you will.

Facing North from Visitor/Interpretive Center for Glen Canyon Dam. Chamonix 4x5 Tmax100, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon, f/5.6@f/32. Developed TmaxDev.

One thing I have noticed about flickr is that it applies a sharpening to the images you upload, so makes it hard to sharpen images in post. On the one above, I intentionally left it a tad soft and this is definitely much crispier. Still works though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I think we should update the title of this thread to allow for more than 1 submission a month, say one a day. The discussions of late have been really good. Would like to get more involved.

This is dichotomy to my garage image. Even a juxtaposition if you will.

Facing North from Visitor/Interpretive Center for Glen Canyon Dam. Chamonix 4x5 Tmax100, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon, f/5.6@f/32. Developed TmaxDev.

I think I would have to go square with this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	192489
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

It's a possibility.

multiplex

Hello Steven -
    Nice scenic photograph but with such deep DOF it makes me wonder what the central focal point of the photograph is -- the rocks in the foreground ( which on my monitor seem to be in focus more than anything else)?; the clouds ( which are nice but don't "pop")?; or the canyon ( seems muted )?. I think that's the hardest thing with scenic/landscape photography ( figuring out the small thing in the grande landscape to be the primary focus of the image ) and why I don't do it! The grande landscape to me is too overwhelming and hard to pick one thing, and if it is EVERYTHING its too much. I'm guessing through split contrast printing, sharp and unsharp masking, on camera filtration and PhotoshopCC "magic" it would not be a difficult endeavor to turn this from a ... scenic landscape into a scenic landscape!.

Good to see you are still having fun, cause that is the point

John

Guess I better 'splain my 'Like!'.

I really like the flow and drama of oof clouds, the thrust of the butte.

I don't like the bush or foreground. but it a does give reference as in the bit of leaves in this link.

The focus may be good, but no longer a real criterion for me.

As my personal resolution is no longer sharp and I now prefer 'Atmosphere' even Pictorialism, which has fallen from favor, as they match what I see in the real world.

Unrarified Air: Alfred Stieglitz and the Modernism of Equivalence
    Tin Can