Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Much appreciated!!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Another thought would be to try burning in the sky to get it darker, but it doesn't look as natural?

Just some of my thoughts.

This is my favorite of all the options proposed so far. I think this is a time for “natural be damned” in terms of the sky. I would allow a tiny bit more “glow” just behind the dark rock that splits the waterfall to give it a bit more dimension but I prefer this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Cropped slightly per your previous post for visual reference:

A bit awkward to me, crowding the top of the falls. I will have to look at my print tonight to see where I cropped it exactly, but I gave it a bit of sky to breath. I like the idea of the sky being the "entry point" of the waterfall. Another thought would be to try burning in the sky to get it darker, but it doesn't look as natural?

Just some of my thoughts.
    It is hard to shoot waterfalls. I have some digital waterfalls, one in IR of Bridalveil Falls in Yosemite that came out really well. Everything about this is good. The details, focus, sharpness, contrast, etc. Just the right amount of motion blur on the waterfall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

For your consideration: an interpretation more along the lines of the Hudson River Valley School of painting. Less literal, more... theatrical.
    Ken I like this crop, the only problem is it removes an area of high interest for me—that is—the pool at the bottom.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Ken I like this crop, the only problem is it removes an area of high interest for me—that is—the pool at the bottom.
    You're right

On the other hand, sometimes we have to decide what are the principal subjects of the photo and how many we can render at the same time effectively and coherently.

One compositional tool that I am a fan off is "anchor points" in the corners. I am fairly certain I have read about this technique somewhere but I don't know if that's the proper name for it.

A discussion point - should we strive to have one singular point of interest, with everything else in frame being subservient to it, or should we try to include multiple interest points that play off each other and allows the eye to wander and not immediately get drawn to the main subject?

Note I don't think there is a correct answer here.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

For me it is all tied together with light...that is the one subject for most of my work. Although I love getting the viewers' feet wet...LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pier, Arcata Bay.jpg   PC1980.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One compositional tool that I am a fan off is "anchor points" in the corners. I am fairly certain I have read about this technique somewhere but I don't know if that's the proper name for it.

A discussion point - should we strive to have one singular point of interest, with everything else in frame being subservient to it, or should we try to include multiple interest points that play off each other and allows the eye to wander and not immediately get drawn to the main subject?

Note I don't think there is a correct answer here.
    I agree. If there were answers to these questions, we'd have gotten bored a long time ago

It's often the interplay and harmonies of several subjects which makes a photo enjoyable to the eye. That's why we have to decide what are the principal subjects of the photo and how many we can render before an elegant arrangement becomes... cluttered.

That's one of the joys of doing a harmonious "near-far" composition: when it works, we get several views at the same time, blended together.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 15-Mar-2020 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    For me it is all tied together with light...that is the one subject for most of my work. Although I love getting the viewers' feet wet...LOL!
    That pier shot is the cat's pajamas!
    I'd put that on my wall...
    if I had any room on my wall.

Thanks...don't even know if I have a good copy of it anymore, and it would take some digging to find the 4x5 negative even if I still silver printed. During the exposure I ran back and forth on the dock to get it to move...felt too static otherwise. I metered a 2-minute exposure, but the light was dropping fast, so I extended it to around 8 minutes.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China