Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Hmmm, that is unusual.

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Solitude, Black and White Tree, Grand Canyon North, Valhalla Overlook. 75mm Nikkor f/4.5@f/32. Converted from Portra160. Selenium tone added.
    Very good! Would make a nice square image, also...actually there are a lot of possible images within the image above...a lot happening in a small space. I like the hint of the River and the way the temple (Vishnu?) is balanced (and echoed) with the lighter side of the Canyon beyond it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thank you. Yes that is Vishnu. I was at the far left end of the look out and down a bit. I need to look at a map to be sure where I was at. I can see many images as well. Had not thought of a square crop.

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    My favorite shot from the last LF outing. Duke Creek, near Cleveland Ga. Tmax 400, 150mm Caltar on my 4x5 Ebony.
    I really like this one, to me it has a certain pictorialist vibe. It works well cropped to panoramic, and the dark swirly water contrasted by the foam is a good setting to the branch in the foreground.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

My favorite shot from the last LF outing. Duke Creek, near Cleveland Ga. Tmax 400, 150mm Caltar on my 4x5 Ebony.
    I missed this one. I like the tonality and gradations and the focus. Has a dream like quality to it. Like the fading image of a peaceful dream as you wake up. You want to hang on to it because you know once it is gone, reality sets in and that is not fun.

Steven Ruttenberg, what a beautiful shot.

A challenging composition -- so far it is not working well for me, while remaining an interesting image. Two lines creating three planes that work awkwardly together (not well balanced), with my eyes being drawn off randomly to different corners, rather than into and thru the image.

A crop about halfway down to a more panoramic view of the stick takes advantage of some of the elements I found distracting in the original crop. The eye can follow the stick (a wonderful stick!) from one area of clarity to the other...back and forth...while having enough 'white water' to set it in Place. My opinion might differ tomorrow. (MOMDT)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A challenging composition -- so far it is not working well for me, while remaining an interesting image. Two lines creating three planes that work awkwardly together (not well balanced), with my eyes being drawn off randomly to different corners, rather than into and thru the image.

A crop about halfway down to a more panoramic view of the stick takes advantage of some of the elements I found distracting in the original crop. The eye can follow the stick (a wonderful stick!) from one area of clarity to the other...back and forth...while having enough 'white water' to set it in Place. My opinion might differ tomorrow. (MOMDT)
    I can see what you are talking about. Im thinking when I get to printing it I need to burn in at the top to make the white water less demanding an element. I already cropped some busy elements at the top, not sure more cropping would help just move the intersection of the whitewater to the edge.

A picture that normally goes against my usual standards of technical qualities but for me, strikes a chord with my sentimental understanding of a picture. The motion blur here initially angered me but has since grown on me. It encapsulates the existence of my then 2 week old son.

300 APO Symmar
    810 HP5 at 250 / HC110 B 5’
    Ebony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffery Dale Welker

I've got a couple of long term projects going. One is titled "Divided Waters" and encompasses a series of industrial portraits I'm slowly making of old agricultural irrigation well pumps. These elderly fellows inhabit much of the Arizona arid landscape and have unique characters that I want to preserve before they are replaced by new agricultural technologies. The other project is titled "A Road Less Traveled" and involves me photographing at various locations along the old US Highway 80 as in transects Arizona. A highway that once was the southern Route 66 - from the Atlantic Ocean east of Savanah, GA to the Pacific Ocean at San Diego, CA. Again, these irrigation well pumps can be found along the old route as it crosses Arizona.

Generally, these pumps stand alone, isolated from other infrastructure as they watch over fields of cotton and alfalfa. Many of my photographs of these pumps involve combining a portrait with landscape to give context. This particular site presented a more complicated composition. I struggled how best to frame the various components. I ultimately decided to make a more intimate portrait with only a minor landscape element.

Your thoughts?

Arca-Swiss F-Metric 4x5 w/MicroOrbix | Nikon Nikkor-W 210mm f/5.6 | Ilford FP4+ | 1/8th @ f/45 | EI 100 | Ilford Ilfotch DDX
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison