Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3A9C7CA-31F0-4FC3-A388-D89E0E0C7C95.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	196833
    Spent a few days at Jekyll Island with the 4x5. Maco 820 ir r72 filter, f16@15 sec

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Here is an image from Grand Canyon North this year. It is kinda emotional for me as are all of my Grand Canyon shots this year as i had been given a layoff notice just before I went. So it was hard to keep my head on straight standing on the edge of a 1000 foot drop off. But for the brief time waiting for the light to be right, etc, I was at peace but haunted at night with the possibility of losing everything and not being able to provide for my family and 7 year old son.

4x5 using a Chamonix 45H-1, 75mm Nikkor f/4.5@f/32 on Portra160. I have my thoughts on the image, but waiting to hear. I need to find a better way to post images. flicker and zenfolio seem to over saturate color images on upload.

Checkout the fuzzy rainbow on the far rim image center.

Hang in their Steven. A door closed because another door needs to be opened for you. I have gone through this cycle four times in my career and retrospectively I was in a similar state of what I call artifically imposed desperation each time. Yet I was thankful for each displacement because it caused me to do a hard boot and kick things back in gear. As a result I just celebrated my 20th year of being in business for myself and I would have never contemplated this possibility unless I got kicked hard by a series of qualified idiots along the way. Photography can be an excellent venue for managing the obvious stress and I am glad you went ahead and took the trip. Circle the wagons and regroup with the family.

Thank you all. I hope to never go thru it again and if I do, I hope to handle it better.

Steven, it's a good photo. On my monitor, the yellow cliffs look a little unnatural, and the sky is a bit blah. Try cropping off the top of the image to just below the yellow cliffs. For me, that focuses interest on the valley.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks for posting such nice images. I like your Grand Canyon photo composition just the way it is. I agree with Peter De Smidt though, about the unnatural colors, but I think the web can be unforgiving with color rendition. I find it tedious to make even B & W images look like they should on the web.

Hang in there on the employment situation.

Dawn!

I have problems with the darkness, lacks your usual detail, but could be my dim eyes
    Tin Can

Ken, I think the yellow cliffs could come down another 1/3 to 1/2 stop and foreground up by about the same amount. But then the screen tends to be a “lowest common denominator” device in critical viewing.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Yes, our monitors make the final difference. I made that edit on my calibrated iMac at home. On my non-calibrated Windows machines at work the image looks rather different

My basic point - made many times by others - is that sometimes we get preoccupied with technical issues like dynamic range and resolution and overlook the fundamentals.

No argument there
    --- Steve from Missouri ---