Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    One compositional tool that I am a fan off is "anchor points" in the corners. I am fairly certain I have read about this technique somewhere but I don't know if that's the proper name for it.

A discussion point - should we strive to have one singular point of interest, with everything else in frame being subservient to it, or should we try to include multiple interest points that play off each other and allows the eye to wander and not immediately get drawn to the main subject?

Note I don't think there is a correct answer here.
    A good discussion point. I like anchor points, but I don't strive for them. I more think of an image as a movie or play. There is the protagonist and antagonist then the supporting characters. I guess you could also look at it like music. Symphonies or Rock. In rock there is a lead instrument like guitar, rhythm anchor such as bass that gives fullness and and ability to feel the music and then the vocals and harmonies. The symphony is similar but typically without the vocals.

Both forms of music require each instrument to occupy it's own space in the frequency band with an overlap in the harmonics, etc. If this is not achieved then the music becomes unintelligible, being over crowded as everything occupies the same space.

Photography is the same way to me. It is a song that if recorded wrong or processed wrong will fail till we can isolate and have everything occupy it's own space providing a compliment to the main character of your scene.

That is the way I see a scene it is music in the visible spectrum.

As Ozzy sings "...swallowing colors of the sound I hear..."

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Palouse Region, WA. Train and Silos. 75mm Nikkor f/4.5@f/32, 1/2 sec, R25A filter, Tmax100.

Nice one!

I used to live on the Palouse, over 40 years ago now, so this brings back memories.

One question though -- did you use any movements, or was the film plane tilted? The silo at right widens towards the top, and it looks like the front is what bows out towards the camera. It's very subtle and not distracting. I need to use a 75-mm this summer, and I don't want distortion if I can avoid it. I'll experiment with it some, but any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    A discussion point - should we strive to have one singular point of interest, with everything else in frame being subservient to it, or should we try to include multiple interest points that play off each other and allows the eye to wander and not immediately get drawn to the main subject?
    I've seen far more photographs that fail due to including too much, rather than too little. In my experience, too many points of interest held back my photography for years.

I would say that if, at first look from a distance, your eye wanders a lot, then there is too much in the photograph. In my opinion, the wandering should be to enjoy subtle details after the main point has been absorbed.

None of these comments are meant to address your photograph in particular, Bryan. Others have made plenty of comments about it!

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post
    Nice one!

I used to live on the Palouse, over 40 years ago now, so this brings back memories.

One question though -- did you use any movements, or was the film plane tilted? The silo at right widens towards the top, and it looks like the front is what bows out towards the camera. It's very subtle and not distracting. I need to use a 75-mm this summer, and I don't want distortion if I can avoid it. I'll experiment with it some, but any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I think I did a slight tilt have to look at my notes tonight. I leveled the camera, but I think being at the very edge it was gonna happen. I could have backed up a bit and go a a bit wider like a 90 or 127.

Nice one!

Thanks!
    I did use tilt and rise/fall. I forgot to check the bellows (well didn't know I should) it was a typical bellows, and it covered part of the lens and vignettes the top. So this is a significant crop. Luckily it helps the image.

I think I missed the tilt though, as the top is a tad soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I did use tilt and rise/fall. I forgot to check the bellows (well didn't know I should) it was a typical bellows, and it covered part of the lens and vignettes the top. So this is a significant crop. Luckily it helps the image.

I think I missed the tilt though, as the top is a tad soft.
    Okay, I think I know what you did, except for "rise/fall". (which one? I guess rise).

With such tall objects, it may have been impossible to have their tops sharp when using tilt (assuming forward tilt). The depth of field along the plane of focus (wedge-shaped) would probably not be wide enough at the silo's distance to make the ground and the silo's top sharp.

Maybe a tiny bit of tilt and a very small aperture could work, or the safe bet would be no tilt and a very small aperture.

But of course it is always easier to second guess someone else's work. I was not even there. This scene was probably more difficult to capture than it looks. Thanks again for posting -- it is still a nice image.

Okay, I think I know what you did, except for "rise/fall". (which one? I guess rise).

With such tall objects, it may have been impossible to have their tops sharp when using tilt (assuming forward tilt). The depth of field along the plane of focus (wedge-shaped) would probably not be wide enough at the silo's distance to make the ground and the silo's top sharp.

Maybe a tiny bit of tilt and a very small aperture could work, or the safe bet would be no tilt and a very small aperture.

But of course it is always easier to second guess someone else's work. I was not even there. This scene was probably more difficult to capture than it looks. Thanks again for posting -- it is still a nice image.
    I believe I used front rise and rear fall (too much). This was one of my first attempts and knowing more about tilt in theory than practical application. So, I missed it. I'd like to say I nailed it and it was the wind, but I don't think there was much wind.

Next time I am there, I will do it justice. Hope I have clouds and water on the ground again! Maybe go in winter and have snow on the ground!

This was my best shot from February (and likely for a while to come!) Already shared this in the Portraits thread, but I'd be happy to hear any feedback or suggestions for improvement with future portraits.

Karis
    Intrepid 4x5 mk3
    Fujinon-W 250mm 6.3
    Yellow filter
    f/11 @ 1/30
    Ilford HP5 400
    Diafine
    Epson v800

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Palouse Region, WA. Train and Silos. 75mm Nikkor f/4.5@f/32, 1/2 sec, R25A filter, Tmax100.

This is great. I think a bit of keystoning adds drama to the image.... i've done this before on occasion.