Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Is this better ?

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Yes
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Dawn!

I have problems with the darkness, lacks your usual detail, but could be my dim eyes
    This was late in the day

Alstrom Point storm. 4x5 Chamonix, 75mm Nikkor f/4.5@f/32, long exposure, 100Tmax, Tmax Developer, Yellow filter for mild contrast.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hJCwn3]

Tin Can

This one from Alstrom Point was a shot in the dark, I did my due diligence on metering and such, but in the end, I had to use my intuition for the final exposure and make a gut call on it.

Here is something a little different than my usual...

I set up the 11x14 just in from the Yosemite Park entrance on Hwy 140.

Through the Portal, 2019
    Yosemite National Park
    11x14 Carbon Print

For historical reference is a 5x7 I took in the early 90s (silver gelatin print).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThroughThePortal.jpg   ValleyTour.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I like the first one with the ghost lites. Everything is balanced, with good shadows and highlights. While I like the ghost lights from the car/truck that went by, they seem a bit out of place. The second for me seems hard to focus on with the blurry people. Overall, both have good lighting and development. I like the first one, did I say that? Yep.

Thanks, Steven. The second one as a 5x7 contact print works nicely in one's hands, tho it would be fun to see it large.

It was a full sized tour bus, you can see its outlines as it passed through the 'portal', coming towards the camera. This particular bus stopped right before entering the portal, then continued. If I had been using 8x10 instead of 11x14, I might have used a few more sheets and experimented as more buses delivered visitors into Yosemite Valley. But as it is, I like the use of the bus transforming as it enters the Park as a metaphor for the transcending experience the Valley can have for visitors. Sometimes it is nice having a reason to do something nuts like use an 11x14 to take a photo of a moving tour bus.

It was created in late April with the Yosemite Renaissance Show/Competition in mind (deadline tomorrow, Nov 20th). A difficult show to get in to; multi-media, small show (~35 pieces), large response (over 700 entries), and as a wonderful twist they look for work that personalizes the artists' experience in Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada ...as opposed to just another pretty picture/painting/etc (just my sense of the selection process). The second image was accepted for a YR show back in the late 90s.

Keep you fingers crossed for me -- getting into the show is the best excuse ever for visiting the Valley in winter. The opening will be the third week of February.

FP4+, 360mm FujiW on Chamonix 11x14. F/64 for 4 seconds, developed in PyrocatHD, single transfer carbon print*

* Printed at Jim Fitzgerald's home in WA. I wanted to see how he had things set up...and what better way than to make a few prints!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 19-Nov-2019 at 16:51.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

On the second image I had set the 5x7 up to photograph the light along Bridalvail Creek from across the road. As I was setting up, these open-air Valley Tour buses would pass by like clockwork. Much more interesting than the creek, so I waited for the next one to pass. I love the anonymity of the tourists, their divided attention and curiosity. Of course they are hard to focus on...they come and go and start to all blend into one.