Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Wow, Ken -- that's a really good bleaching job down in the bottom left corner.

(Yes, I know.)
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Looks a bit surreal and ominus like a dream that fades away as you wake the way it goes from in focus to blur as you move farther into the scene until it is hard to know what you are looking at. Gives that feeling of I know something and I am positive about it, but I just can't remember any more.
    Good to hear! Thanks. Nicely written

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Hi Ken. I think a minor edit like that is lost when you consider all the variability in everyone's computer monitor.
    I noticed the difference clearly on my home editing computer and monitor, but not so much different at work on my older monitor.

Ken's tone change is more true to original pictorialist style. Good credit for that. They like dark and couldn't get enough, sometimes to their advantage and sometimes they went too far I think. When I print this I'll probably make a few different light and darker tone versions and see what I like when they dry. Till then, both are good with me.

Tonality aside, I thought it might be helpful to remove the footprints at the lower left, and darken the lower right.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I noticed the difference clearly on my home editing computer and monitor
    Right. We all see a delta change but it's the absolute value of the change that is variable. For example, I could have been seeing that same adjustment down before he adjusted down ( because it was subtile) on my monitor. And now it could be darker then what Ken was seeing for me. I dunno but when I try to say flirt with the edge of black on my monitor (and even wet prints - room light variables), I'm often disappointed it's not the same when I see it on my tablet or another person's monitor (especially at a work monitor - yuck). But that's just my experience. YMMV.
    Last edited by tuco; 20-Feb-2020 at 12:44. Reason: sp

Solitude, Black and White Tree, Grand Canyon North, Valhalla Overlook. 75mm Nikkor f/4.5@f/32. Converted from Portra160. Selenium tone added.

My favorite shot from the last LF outing. Duke Creek, near Cleveland Ga. Tmax 400, 150mm Caltar on my 4x5 Ebony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9EB834ED-B107-474C-8116-764BC51F2C15.jpg  

Hi, Steve. Nice work. It's hard for me to judge on screen, but there are certainly some careful and well-seen juxtapositions in particular. The only aspect that comes across on my screen is the relative lightness of the clouds behind (through) the tree. I suspect that this is a result of dodging there or burning around it. It just seems a little off-key to me; a non-photographer would not likely notice, and perhaps find it perfectly fine.

I like the overall tonality and handling.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

There was some dodging and burning. The clouds were kinda flat, tried to bring out some detail (my monitor is profiled to 40cd/m^2 for brightness, so it will match prints, so it may appear brighter on someone with a brighter setting on their monitor). I did play with the composition quite a bit (hurredly though). Tried my 90mm and 210mm, but they were too much. Settled on the 75mm, but had to frame carefully there was some muck just outside of frame to the right.

Thanks for the review/critique

Steve, for display as art, consider flipping it horizontally.