Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Wonderful image, well-printed. I would suggest cropping the foreground just below the waterline--it's confusing and the figure gets a little lost as it is.

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    Ken, that is NOT in Mass.!
    Sorry, could you please explain ? I honestly don't understand.

I lived in New Mexico for several years and we had a wide variety of lighting and atmospheric conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Wonderful image, well-printed. I would suggest cropping the foreground just below the waterline--it's confusing and the figure gets a little lost as it is.
    The confusion is one of the elements that makes the image powerful for me.

Ken -- sounds like someone is confused, thinking the image is yours.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

[QUOTE=Vaughn;1505169]The confusion is one of the elements that makes the image powerful for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bottom part of the image. It's just that it is so interesting and different that for me it distracts from an image that has strong geometric features that frame and lead to the figure.

Almost all our images change dependent upon print size.

I look at most posted here on a tiny phone first. Then a 23" monitor.

Then bigger, but huge changes it.

I sit in the front row of any movie screen, even IMAX. I try to get front row for live theater. They spit on us. Normal! A sword fight was insane, one lunged at me.

Babes with Blades.

Do not flinch.

I prefer to be immersed in an image, moving or not...

The cool detachment of proper viewing distance in a gallery is boring.

I am also a weeper, I cannot control my emotion while viewing intense images. I carry Viva paper towels, always...

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Almost all our images change dependent upon print size.

I look at most posted here on a tiny phone first. Then a 23" monitor.

Then bigger, but huge changes it.

I sit in the front row of any movie screen, even IMAX. I try to get front row for live theater. They spit on us. Normal! A sword fight was insane, one lunged at me.

Babes with Blades.

Do not flinch.

I prefer to be immersed in an image, moving or not...

The cool detachment of proper viewing distance in a gallery is boring.

I am also a weeper, I cannot control my emotion while viewing intense images. I carry Viva paper towels, always...

ymmv
    (off-topic) Ballet changes tremendously when viewed from the balcony rather than the orchestra. Front row is not always best.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Yes. Once we free ourselves from our original visualization, a wide range of interpretations opens up. We can go dark and gothic, light and silvery, tall, wide, dusty, clear... whatever.
    Yup !

multiplex

Ken, that is NOT in Mass.!
    Hi jerrybro

The location probably isn't ( I lived in Mass for about 15 years .. ) but the print probably is

Yes, I prefer a box seat then.

But the dance musical Chicago was amazing front row.

As seen at Chicago's Chicago Theater, which makes, Chicago, in Chicago at Chicago Theatre....

Some small Chicago off off, theatre you sit on the stage.

Steppenwolf Theatre made steady rain on stage front. People did get very wet, they supplied rolls of plastic. I was 5 rows away. Dry

A Clockwork Orange 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    (off-topic) Ballet changes tremendously when viewed from the balcony rather than the orchestra. Front row is not always best.

Sorry, the humor was not presented well. I only meant to say that the photo was not taken in your backyard. I know what you mean by the varied light. I lived in Boulder Co by the Rockies and was amazed at how the Front Range could look different every day.

As Ansel Adams said, the negative is the score and the print is the performance. I think Steve has composed a wonderful score with the potential for numerous performances.