Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

I've often said this to other photographers - sometimes, the most important component of a good photograph is access. This is related to the old adage of "if your photo isn't good enough, you're not close enough." Some of my best images were made by getting access to a place that I wouldn't normally be able to get into, or putting in the effort to get to a hard-to-reach place.

Anyway, I'm not really feeling the image, but what does interest me is the shades of grey on the hills. This crop would equate to a really long lens (medium format perhaps more applicable) and I would say early/late light from a flattering perspective might make it work:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    ... Plus, I put images here to invoke conversation and for us to study. And hopefully encourage others who may be hesitant to post here that they should...
    Ah, then you do not consider it your best from last month. A general critique thread is a good thing to have.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Ah, then you do not consider it your best from last month. A general critique thread is a good thing to have.
    Agreed. There was one, somewhere, in the Image Sharing subforum. I'll look...

Ah, here it is:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...read.php?98676
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Good! I liked your best photograph of the month idea -- it was keeping the number of new images down to a level where we had time to critique each one before it got buried with additional images to critique.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I agree as well with best image of the month, but I was not seeing very many of them show up. Even after I took a month or two off. Maybe we should update it to 1 a week. A general critique is good as well. Again, I put my work out there both for critique and to encourage others to do so.

I agree with the patterns of light and dark and considered a longer lens, but it was like 120F outside at 2 in the afternoon. I felt like I was in a broiler as there was no shade at all. Perhaps I will go back this weekend as we are in the middle of monsoon season so it could provide for a much better drama shot. As for my image, I consider it one of the better ones, I was just pointing out that the blotchiness was most likely due to one of my first attempts at developing. The item I dislike the most from the image is the foreground. I will see if I can talk to somebody and get a different access. Although, they may not want to give it, may be afraid I am an undercover gov't agent.

One a month, please.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Also the concept of it being the best from the month is what makes it appealing, also -- a different take on "What's wrong with the print. How can I make it better?" discussions. This format can encourage critiquing the why over the usual how and here's what to change to make it better.

I'd post images, but I haven't printed in awhile -- lots of new negs (5x7 and 11x14). But I got some printing scheduled for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    as there was no shade at all.
    I'll play contrarian again ("creeds and schools in abeyance," y'all) but I'm kind of feeling this one as well--I think the main issue is simply the harsh lighting that doesn't let the eye be drawn to the breaker complex in the center of the frame. If that's the case, I'd break out all the PS tricks in the book: vignetteing especially, but also a lot of brush work, some selective sharpening, and maybe a split-tone, all in the interest of moving our eye around the frame.

I can certainly do that,I just hope the thread picks up and we get much more than we have been.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I'll play contrarian again ("creeds and schools in abeyance," y'all) but I'm kind of feeling this one as well--I think the main issue is simply the harsh lighting that doesn't let the eye be drawn to the breaker complex in the center of the frame. If that's the case, I'd break out all the PS tricks in the book: vignetteing especially, but also a lot of brush work, some selective sharpening, and maybe a split-tone, all in the interest of moving our eye around the frame.
    Interesting concept. I will look at that. Although, it might be easier to reshoot with the given suggestions in mind when doing so.