Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

I know what I would compose there, but I have no idea what you've got on the GG so I don't really see the point. Oh well.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

fence, first 3 building to left, part of tree

Yes, aka three spot composition. Why does this composition work at all?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    fence, first 3 building to left, part of tree

Not about ego, Not about self-gratification, Not a contest...

“I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think.”
    -Socrates

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I don't really see the point. Oh well.

This is an interesting thread for discussion and critique of images. I would simply like to see your images, rather than a cellphone setup snap. I'm not trying to get into ego or self-gratification here, but you aren't the teacher and us your students. I think the most fruitful discussion here has been more of a round-table talk among fellow photographers. I prefer talking about images in person but we can only do so much geographically.

converging diagonals, 'rule' of 3's and the rest to the right is too busy.

note a rule is not a rule

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Yes, aka three spot composition. Why does this composition work at all?

Bernice

+1. I would compose with the walkway included. I see differently than many here with the ultrawides. Clyde Butcher's ultrawide images don't follow such formalized compositional "rules" outside of the usage of 3rds but work amazingly well as a whole, with elements playing off each other and richly-detailed scenes truly encapsulating the Florida wilderness. Also a different experience printed massively and seen in person.

By simply sharing in any way, we are teaching and possibly learning. Images are images regardless of what means are used to make them. Limiting images view camera centric images limits the discussion and possible learning process.

Know critique and such can result in "group think" followed by a standard of what the group believes is acceptable. This can open the door to a MUCH broader discussion that touches on many aspects of the human condition.

Bernice

This is an interesting thread for discussion and critique of images. I would simply like to see your images, rather than a cellphone setup snap. I'm not trying to get into ego or self-gratification here, but you aren't the teacher and us your students. I think the most fruitful discussion here has been more of a round-table talk among fellow photographers. I prefer talking about images in person but we can only do so much geographically.

Clyde Butcher, find the thirds:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clyde Butcher.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	192668

Not about rules, more about how these ideas are applied. In music, notes are the raw materials as a means to create an orderly means of creative expression.

Bernice

Clyde Butcher's ultrawide images don't follow such formalized compositional "rules" outside of the usage of 3rds but work amazingly well as a whole, with elements playing off each other and richly-detailed scenes truly encapsulating the Florida wilderness.

bad link