Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need direction with older HC-110

Need direction with older HC-110

As you will notice I am sorta new here. Was a member a number of years ago and just fell off the map. Looking to branch out and try some new techniques. I have some I'm going to say an old version of HC-110. It's 16 fl oz bottle dark red and thick. I have had these for at least 20 years and I think they are from the 70's. I have 5 or 6 bottles. None of the have been opened.

I'm questioning the dilution measurements of this developer. First you have to make a stock solution, adding the 16 oz of developer to 48 oz of water to make 64 oz. From there you make your working solution. Their direction, on the bottle, for working solution B is 1 part of the stock solution to 7 parts of water. How if at all does this relate to the solutions of today, 1 to 31? Another example is 1 to 11 for solution E.

Thanks

Re: Need direction with older HC-110

I think you can make a working solution directly from concentrate by using 1+31 for B and 1+47 for E.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So your thought is instead of making Kodak's stock solution go straight to a working solution. Without crimping my brain the proportions seem reasonably close. Lets do this. 16/48=1 to 3 ratio. Now a "B" solution is 1:31. Their direction is stock solution, 1:3, diluted to 1:7. Would this not yield 1:21?

I use HC-110 almost exclusively, every time I shoot B&W film and plates. I don’t dork with stock solution. 1 oz of concentrate in 31 oz of water, mix and go.

Btw the math is (1+3) * (1+7) = 32 = (1+31)
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Help me with the math. I knew it wasn't that simple when I typed it but I don't see how you got there. Your not taking me back to my days of calculus are you? Maybe I do. Holly crap I still remember this stuff. 1x1+1x7+3x1+3x7

No lol it’s not calculus... based on my kids’ homework it’s 5th grade math!

The important point is that, for example, you’re adding 1 oz concentrate to 3 oz water (3+1), resulting in 4 oz total stock solution. Then you’re combining each oz of stock solution to 7 oz of water (1+7) for 4 * 8 = 32 total ounces of working solution.

Do the additions in parenthesis first, then multiply.

(1+3) * (1+7) = 4 * 8 = 32
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Thanks

Photographer

This website has a lot of info on HC110 including several different dilutions from stock solution:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
    I think you can make a working solution directly from concentrate by using 1+31 for B and 1+47 for E.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is not advisable unless you need a lot of working solution, like 2 liters or so. The syrup has to diluted and shaken very well to get an even dilution. The quantities of the very thick syrup are too small to be accurate for working solutions in 1 step.

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    That is not advisable unless you need a lot of working solution, like 2 liters or so. The syrup has to diluted and shaken very well to get an even dilution. The quantities of the very thick syrup are too small to be accurate for working solutions in 1 step.
    It's easy to mix smaller quantities of working solution directly from the concentrate by using a syringe or graduated pipette to measure the syrup. Rinse the syringe well in the solution, mix well and top up with water to make the total. Yes, you have to mix well, but a few minutes of stirring does the job just fine.

Use half-ounce of syrup for 16 oz. of working solution 1+31, or one oz. of syrup for 32 oz. of working solution. If you like metric, then 15ml of syrup for 480ml of working solution, etc., etc. Other dilutions are just as easy.

Best,

Doremus