Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century Kodak no 7 + semi centennial - restauration

Century Kodak no 7 + semi centennial - restauration

Hi everyone,

I just bought this nice studio outfit.

I would need some advices here:

- 1- Is there any way to know, by the color, the age of the kit? I know that there were no major changes over the years for the Century studio cameras.
    I saw much darker (chocolate) color for this camera which I think were older. Mine however, did not come at that time, with the drawers for the plates or film holders. The colors is much lighter for the stand and the camera is in a brownish red color.

- 2 - What is your contact to have the bellows refreshed in US or Canada?

- 3 - Is there a way I could find the rear crank handle to tilt the camera table? I guess it was replaced by a butterfly screw to take less space behind the camera.

- 4 - The lens board did come with a Conley barn door type shutter. No pneumatic outfit. Is there a supplier for the pneumatic fitting to fit on the lens board available? I know I can drill a hole on the lens board itself and fit the tubing directly on the shutter, but I wanted the find the fitting first...

Thank you all for your input,

Best,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no7Century.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	185518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no7outfil.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	185519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side Century.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	185520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slidingCentury.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	185517
    Last edited by andrel23; 14-Dec-2018 at 13:42. Reason: error in syntax and text

Re: Century Kodak no 7 + semi centennial - restauration

I think the best made are http://www.custombellows.co.uk/
    Tin Can

loujon

Your camera is Century #7 and it looks as if it has the the transition tag is on your Semi-Centennial #1 stand. It reads "Century Made by Eastman Kodak Co Successor to The Century Camera Co Rochester NY." So if my memory serves me right your camera dates to around 1909-11 ish. The #7 was introduced with the older style holder/sliding back but the Century #8 introduced at the same time as the #7 but was a 11x14 and introduced w/ the lighter dd holders & a sliding carriage w/ a spring back and never offered with the older style dry plate holders. On the other hand the #7 was but soon after the #7 was introduced it was offered with the dd holders & sliding carriage w/ spring back like the #8.

This is my #7 & comparing the two they seem to have been manufactured around the time Eastman bought the Century Camera Co or at least not long afterwards.

For me, owning these beauties became a little addictive (under control now) so if you have the space in the studio or your living environment just watch out .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1184.jpg   DSC_1190.jpg   DSC_1189.jpg  
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 14-Dec-2018 at 17:03. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That's who I used for mine.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    That's who I used for mine.

I just find these such beautiful beast.

Quote Originally Posted by andrel23 View Post
    - 1- Is there any way to know, by the color, the age of the kit?
    Regarding the color or finish of the camera or stand - please keep in mind that very many were made when wood was the least expensive common commodity, and to expedite manufacturing, aesthetic considerations of matching color or grain were ignored. Lower your expectations in such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Regarding the color or finish of the camera or stand - please keep in mind that very many were made when wood was the least expensive common commodity, and to expedite manufacturing, aesthetic considerations of matching color or grain were ignored. Lower your expectations in such matters.
    One thing that Jac means by that is if one were to strip the finish off an old antique, even different pieces of the same wood were usually heavy stained, as unstained hardwoods that are just clear coated would have different shades that don't match well, so they were evened out with heavy stain...

It would hard to match eras due to stain color, but later stains tended to be darker than the century before...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    One thing that Jac means by that is if one were to strip the finish off an old antique, even different pieces of the same wood were usually heavy stained, as unstained hardwoods that are just clear coated would have different shades that don't match well, so they were evened out with heavy stain...

It would hard to match eras due to stain color, but later stains tended to be darker than the century before...

Steve K
    Thank you all for your input. It's much apreciated to have dedicated persons who take their precious time to get involved in this Forum

After a closer inspection, there is a serial number on the railing base: #71718 for the no. 7
    There is a patent date: Aug. 29 1916. So in that case, the idea of a construction date of 1909-11 is not correct.

Any idea?

thank you