Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Critiques and Discussion-- what are they?

Re: Critiques and Discussion-- what are they?

That's a fair point Peter. I hope that perhaps people will post what they think is their best photo, rather than the one that garnered the most community praise previously. However, I will say that sometimes a photograph gets a lot of generic "good work" comments and I fail to see why, so posting such an image in that thread will also give the opportunity to address that and perhaps give a different viewpoint.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Regarding the 'critique' I just posted on the image thread about these 2 images, I need to say a few things.

Are critiques on this forum about line, form and tone only or is content also an important factor?

If words mean something...what do images mean...

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think we exposed a lot about our ideas of beauty in the "will you pose nude thread.
    Tin Can

Randy, I think the answer is a resounding 'yes' but not all images do or need to say something explicitly. Though some tend to read more into things than others. I saw your comments and will have to consider your reading of the images before commenting. A little busy today photographing but I am on lunch break on my phone .

I checked your weather and thought you may be out and about.

I check weather all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Randy, I think the answer is a resounding 'yes' but not all images do or need to say something explicitly. Though some tend to read more into things than others. I saw your comments and will have to consider your reading of the images before commenting. A little busy today photographing but I am on lunch break on my phone .
    Tin Can

Unfortunately it's commercial work. Light was beautiful but I'm stuck shooting digital portraits for a company.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Done. For those who want to participate come on down.

Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged
    While I completely support the concept, I think the structural problem is that, if you get a dozen people to submit, there will be a dozen different critiques going on at once in the same thread. Wish I had a solution...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

There's a significant difference between "critique" and "constructive criticism", both of which, thoughtfully rendered and put forth bring value to the recipient, versus non-value added sniping and petty remarks. Of course, this all comes down on the specific people involved; not everyone cares to be cordial or add value in their posts.

For me, personally, it is the non-value added and, for lack of a better term, "cheap shots" by some on others that is the problem. Personally, I've had cheap shots leveled at me twice, once a technical put-down for sharing (for sharing's own sake) a (not the world's most creative or strong) LF picture of a flower in a "flowers" thread. The second time was simply a petty shot that, were the poster cordial or considerate, could have been spared and brought zero value as a critique (truly the epitome of a comment worthy of deletion). I think that particular exchange has been alleduded to in this thread.

IMHO, it isn't so much about skin thickness or snowflakes, as much as it is about conducting oneself appropriately in a (free) environment where ideas and images are exchanged, and where the exchange should, ideally, be helpful and useful. By all means, thoughtful input should almost always be welcome. However careless or callous input should be avoided; that's just good manners.

Also, not every thread here is "show me your portfolio"; they are threads for sharing, and the default rule is not to render criticism unless it's sought. This should not be difficult for posters to respect, but it seems it often is, although Rick and team do a great job moderating.

Personally, I get more from seeing strong images (and discussing what makes them strong) than debating colorspace or monitor calibrations, or if a JPG is too compressed. And if someone wants CC or critique, they can easily invite it.

I'm not so curious in CC myself, though I am curious how others may interpret one of my negatives or vice versa. A "processing swap" thread, where users swap images and interpret others' images might be interesting, but that's off topic for this thread and I'm meandering again...

Some are presenting their best print with a long personal critique. A defense?

I think any art should be approached without a priori knowledge, such as the artist talking about their work before presenting.

When visiting art museums and for profit galleries I avoid reading the explanatory text until I experience the art.

Some time ago I started an image thread which requested no text, no comments.

It died...
    I can't even find it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Some are presenting their best print with a long personal critique. A defense?

I think any art should be approached without a priori knowledge, such as the artist talking about their work before presenting.

When visiting art museums and for profit galleries I avoid reading the explanatory text until I experience the art.

Some time ago I started an image thread which requested no text, no comments.

It died...
    I can't even find it
    A trombone player who was professionally trained but unable to win an audition decided to take lessons from noted Chicago Symphony tuba player Arnold Jacobs, who was also a world-class pedagog. Jacobs told the trombonist that he was more expressive with words than with his music, and he communicated more clearly using words. The trombonist abandoned his musical aspirations and became a successful journalist.

Sometimes I feel as though I explain my photographs better than I make them. So, I stopped doing it. I just put together a book of Alaska photos—so far just for me to test whether it’s worth trying to peddle—and my only explanation is a three-page preface that is unrelated to the individual photographs, and some notes at the back that provide no artistic explanation. I didn’t even title them.

Rick “who uses words for a living and doesn’t want to turn that into a crutch” Denney

Randy - I personally feel commentary on what the photographer was aiming for, in a thread for thoughtful critique, is good. Of course, you can just look at the image and make some comments based on your initial viewing, and only then go back and read the words and perhaps add to the critique. One could also post an image sans commentary and ask for critique in a vacuum, if they want to see if the viewer sees their intent.

This is not an advocacy for words + pictures in a gallery setting. Certainly there is a time and a place.

I am reminded of some photos I posted here on the forum that made people very mad for their own personal reasons, and I was accused of being this or that (both in response to the images and personally via PM and email). I consciously avoided making any statements about my personal opinions and therefore got attacked by everyone...