Thread: ILEX No. 5 cable release port / missing part

Question ILEX No. 5 cable release port / missing part

[Solved, see #9]

Hi,
    my new to me Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar came in a ILEX No. 5 Shutter. The shutter seems to work fine, but I can’t use my cable release. At first I thought I would just need a longer cable release, but found that the little (plastic?) ›pin‹ inside the cable release port is missing.

1. How does the pin look like? (I want to make a replacement)
    2. How can a new pin be installed?

Thanks in advance.

klw
    Last edited by klw; 22-Dec-2018 at 05:25.

Re: ILEX No. 5 cable release port / missing part

Try Carol at Flutot’s camera, she works on Ilex’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loujon

You may need a "long throw" cable release which put you in the Gepe or hunt an older Prontor Pro or like. Many vintage "larger" shutters need a bit more throw then many cable releases (even quality ones) offer.

When buying used or shopping online for a long throw release you can sort of tell if it's long throw by the thickness of the plunger rod & the length of the plunger rod. should be a thicker rod & the length of the rod should be a bit longer then on non long throw release.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuiting View Post
    Try Carol at Flutot’s camera, she works on Ilex’s.
    That is the place where I found the information about the missing part:

»If it still doesn't work, then the pin in the cable release socket needs to be changed.«

But shipping the shutter to the US (and back) is not an option, so I have to find a DIY solution.

klw

…love the »Even The Canary Knows When«

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    You may need a "long throw" cable release which put you in the Gepe or hunt an older Prontor Pro or like. Many vintage "larger" shutters need a bit more throw then many cable releases (even quality ones) offer.

When buying used or shopping online for a long throw release you can sort of tell if it's long throw by the thickness of the plunger rod & the length of the plunger rod. should be a thicker rod & the length of the rod should be a bit longer then on non long throw release.
    At first I thought this would be the problem. But when i tried a longer cable release, I found out about the missing part in the cable release port.

The company that actually makes high quality cable releases (for various brands) is http://www.gebr-schreck.com
    They can even make one to your specs.

klw

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    At first I thought this would be the problem. But when i tried a longer cable release, I found out about the missing part in the cable release port.

The company that actually makes high quality cable releases (for various brands) is http://www.gebr-schreck.com
    They can even make one to your specs.

klw
    Hey klw That's it! I remembered it was a great German company that had the quality cable releases but could not remember the name.Have a new laptop and lost the old bookmark but have it bookmarked so thanks brother.

Sorry I hadn't understood the trouble your Ilex #5 is experiencing but get it FINALLY! If Carol can't help you w/ the part you may want to try Frank Marsh Here https://www.manta.com/c/mm0yggb/came...-camera-repair.
    I could be wrong and if I am I know I'll be corrected but I believe Frank Marsh of CameraWiz Camera Repair has/had a decent supply of Ilex shutter parts Some NOS. It can't hurt to emai/call him explaining the missing part and if he'll sell the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hey klw That's it! I remembered it was a great German company that had the quality cable releases but could not remember the name.Have a new laptop and lost the old bookmark but have it bookmarked so thanks brother.

Sorry I hadn't understood the trouble your Ilex #5 is experiencing but get it FINALLY! If Carol can't help you w/ the part you may want to try Frank Marsh Here https://www.manta.com/c/mm0yggb/came...-camera-repair.
    I could be wrong and if I am I know I'll be corrected but I believe Frank Marsh of CameraWiz Camera Repair has/had a decent supply of Ilex shutter parts Some NOS. It can't hurt to emai/call him explaining the missing part and if he'll sell the part.
    All of the Gepe and most of the Kaiser releases are made by the brothers Schreck!

Hi,

although I found several articles mentioning the ›missing part‹, I could not find any information on how the part looks like or how it is installed.

Does anyone know how the missing part (›pin‹) looks like? Or even how it is installed?

TIA

klw

The missing part originally is made from some kind of plastic:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2139220

I made a replacement part from aluminium. I cut 4mm from a 3mm Aluminium rod and filed the ends flat. It even works with a 18mm cable release.
    Last edited by klw; 6-Jan-2019 at 07:55.