Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cypress Hedgerows at Sea Ranch

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Cypress Hedgerows at Sea Ranch

Drew, thanks for the heads up. I'll check out some campgrounds. Any recommendations?

Drew Wiley

I wouldn't camp back in the woods, though I know one or two good spots. It's narco country. There are a number of State Parks, with Salt Point being my favorite. It was around $20 per day last time I was there. Rocky coastline rather than beach, but highly photogenic. Beware of leaving food out. The raccoons are expert burglars. There are also private campgrounds nearby, which might have the advantage of hot showers. I just don't like the way private campgrounds sometimes look like parking lots for RV's. But if you don't use the official park campground at Salt Point, it's easy to park on the road and walk in. Best odds of finding a camping spot is off-season, though wildflowers are best in May and June. I realize you're interested to ULF b&w shots, but flowers are enjoyable nonetheless. I've got some Salt Pt prints to drymount tomorrow. But you can probably reserve campsites online in advance. Ft Ross is also in the area. I wouldn't bother driving way down here for the hedgerow at the Coast Guard facility at Pt Reyes. It's just too well known, though on a wet winter morning the herd of snapshooting tourists would be unlikely to be around. There are some magical natural tree "tunnels", but they're a bit of work to get to - distinctly uphill.

Drew,

I have heard it's a gated community. how do you get in if not renting a house there?

Thanks.
    Hugo

Drew Wiley

I haven't been at Sea Ranch itself for quite awhile. There are designated trails toward the beach open to the public by law. Whether these are proximate to cypress tree rows, I can't remember. But I had friends living there, should access have hypothetically been a problem. The gate restriction must have transpired since I was there last. One could simply e-mail the association and ask permission in advance. Include a picture of what you're working with - a great big serious camera. That should allay any fears of obnoxious tour bus herds armed with selfie sticks. There are so many old cypresses around this part of the coast that I don't think about them much. I got some lovely cypress shots two days ago just 15 miles from my house.

Hi Jim and Hugo,

You have good tips from Peter and Drew. Back in the day, I spent a lot of time at Sea Ranch on commercial architectural assignments. Being prmarily a second home community, I often stayed in the vacant homes I was photographing. Otherwise, I slept in my van at Salt Point, or a cheap motel in Gualala north of Sea Ranch.

I would suggest checking with the HOA for permission to photograph, as Drew mentioned. The biggest concern of the roving patrols is home break-ins. Accommodations will be less expensive on the east side, in the woods. Check for studio units, currently in the $125-$150 a night range. Of course, season and location will determine price. For photography, I don't think there is a bad time of year at Sea Ranch. I would say the same for Salt Point, which is a destination in itself.

Oh, Jim for other campgrounds check around Gualala.

I look forward to seeing your results!
    Last edited by Merg Ross; 14-Dec-2018 at 19:16.

Merg, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure on my timing but I'd like to put the new 14x17 through its paces. I'm used to sleeping in my van even now so that is a possibility but a place to stay that's affordable is always a good thing as well.

You might check for tips with Paul Kozal at Studio 391 or Jim Alinder, local photographers and gallerists. Sea ranch is not gated, but you need a parking pass to park if not in one of the few public access lots.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Jon, I'm familiar with Paul's work and yours for that matter hence my interest in the area. I will check with these contacts when the time comes. Thanks so much to everyone.

Drew Wiley

One last minute piece of advice - always check road conditions in advance in rainy season. Parts of Hwy 1 are prone to slides. There were multiple slides two years ago, some of which are still undergoing major reconstruction. Another slide occurred just a couple weeks ago during a big downpour, but in the southern half of Hwy 1 below Big Sur, ironically in a repair zone.

Camping is a good option. Salt Point is awesome, but no showers. As I recall, Gualala River Campground is nice as well. As Drew stated, no Abalone diving this year. There are multiple parking lots along Highway 1 that provide access to Sea Ranch public access trails. These don't require a permit (public beach access is required, there were huge long battles about this in the 70s). The access is for limited areas in Sea Ranch. How far you want to push it is a personal choice. They do have security throughout, but I have never been approached.