Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cypress Hedgerows at Sea Ranch

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Cypress Hedgerows at Sea Ranch

Has anyone photographed the hedgerows at Sea Ranch? It looks like there is a lot of private land and I'm trying to find out where the hedgerows are as I'm finding them very interesting. I may try to head down that way this April on my way to Yosemite.
    Thanks.

Re: Cypress Hedgerows at Sea Ranch

Hi Jim,
    I have spent time photographing the hedgerows at Sea Ranch. I have done it while staying at Sea Ranch, which gives you access to all the areas where they are. Sea Ranch is a private development that is fairly heavily patrolled. Staying on site (house rental) gets you a parking (and walking)pass for the entire place I can't recall for certain, but it is possible that some of them may be on the public access paths to the beaches. A stay at Sea Ranch is always a treat. In addition to the hedge rows, there is great coastal access as well. Be aware, light can be tricky. When it is sunny during the day, it can be a mess. Best is in the fog, I think. Ground fog occurs in Winter. Very early morning and late evening can work. Anyway, the hedgerows are beautiful, sometimes a little spooky and in general a wonderful place to spent time. Also other wonderful sights to photograph in the area. (Salt Point, Bowling Ball Beach, etc) All in all that section of coast is a favorite.

Peter, thank you. I thought that a stay might be necessary. Bright sun in the forest is no problem for me and my carbon printing and the coast is a nice addition to the hedgerows. More research is needed and thanks again.

I'd love to photograph there on a foggy day...

Jim, I've spent a fair amount of time in the area. Let me know if I can help.

Drew Wiley

Salt Point, nicknamed, Pt Lobos of the north coast, is not far away and has a good campground when not overwhelmed by abalone divers. Weather is obviously a bit unpredictable in winter; but it can be quite calm between storms, with wonderfully crisp light.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Langham View Post
    Jim, I've spent a fair amount of time in the area. Let me know if I can help.
    Peter,

Can you give me some ideas how to get in? Sea Ranch Lodge is closed for the season and house rental runs about $800 per night. Winter seems to be the time to go.

Thanks.
    Hugo

I've always rented houses. For lowest price, there are places on the east of Highway 1. Look for small 1 bedroom, or whatever you need. There are some really small places available. Its been a few years since I've been there, but I never paid anything like 800 a night. I just glanced at VRBO and it says average per night is about 250 (maybe optimistic), meaning there are lower prices available. I have never been there at a bad time of year. Winter can be days of watching storms move through, sunny and warm or whatever. The ground fog is not easy to predict and I suspect good result for fog require real commitment or good luck.

Peter, thanks for this information. I'm planning a trip here at some point in the coming year. Hugo, let me know your plans maybe we can hook up. PM me.

Drew Wiley

Incidentally, it's just been announced that abalone season is closed the entire coming year, so that removes that particular crowd from public campsites, if that option is chosen.