Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How about something like a Howtek drum scanner

Re: How about something like a Howtek drum scanner

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Ken Lee shows actual fact with a scan.

He also shares what he knows to work.

I have spent many hours on his website.

Thank you
    Not disagreeing at all. I too have spent time on his website and he even helped me with an image. In the end it comes down to personal choice. I ask and discuss to get the input of everyone and then digest to make the best informed decision I can and can afford.

To me it doesn't matter how you get to your final image. As long as it is the image you want. Tools are secondary.

Steven, my post was not directed at you.

We often expand threads beyond the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Not disagreeing at all. I too have spent time on his website and he even helped me with an image. In the end it comes down to personal choice. I ask and discuss to get the input of everyone and then digest to make the best informed decision I can and can afford.

To me it doesn't matter how you get to your final image. As long as it is the image you want. Tools are secondary.
    Tin Can

Roughly speaking, a 5x7 image scanned at 2400dpi gives a 12,000 x 16,800 pixel file.

Printing at 300 dpi (an enlargement of 8x) we can produce a roughly 40x56 inch print. At that size, a digital print make with competent sharpening can be quite impressive if we can afford to print and frame it.

More conservatively, if an Epson scanner really only delivers 1500 dpi at 50% contrast we can enlarge by a factor of 5X but still end up with a formidable 25 x 35 inch print at 300 dpi.

At large size, prints cost more than film and equipment because paper and ink (or paper and chemistry) are pricey. I stick with 16x20 prints for that reason, except when someone commissions larger works.

Because enlargement from 5x7 to 16x20 is only 3-4X, 16x20 prints from 5x7 are often so sharp that they hardly requiring any sharpening before printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Roughly speaking, a 5x7 image scanned at 2400dpi gives a 12,000 x 16,800 pixel file.
    Well, I guess you mean (with the EPSON) scanned at some 4800 to obtain 2400 effective... if we scan at 2400 we obtain some 2100 effective...

2400 effective matches with around 50 lp/mm in the negative, a resolving power that often is not in the negative.

One thing is measuring 50 lp/mm on a flat target, and another thing is performance in real world photography, in many 3D scenes almost nothing is in perfect focus, for example...

So in LF the V850 performance may not be the limiting factor, it is more likely it is a limiting factor in smaller formats, as a lens covering only the 35mm format circle may have higher resolving power.

Many drum jobs for LF are delivered at 2000 or 3000 dpi, because the extra effort has a cost and may not have a Q benefit.

____

pd: yes... 2400 dpi in the scanner are at extintion... considering 50% contrast at 1500 makes sense for a high Q standard...
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 13-Dec-2018 at 03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Steven, my post was not directed at you.

We often expand threads beyond the OP.
    Ok. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Printing at 300 dpi (an enlargement of 8x) we can produce a roughly 40x56 inch print. At that size, a digital print make with competent sharpening can be quite impressive if we can afford to print and frame it.

More conservatively, if an Epson scanner really only delivers 1500 dpi at 50% contrast we can enlarge by a factor of 5X but still end up with a formidable 25 x 35 inch print at 300 dpi.

At large size, prints cost more than film and equipment because paper and ink (or paper and chemistry) are pricey. I stick with 16x20 prints for that reason, except when someone commissions larger works.

Because enlargement from 5x7 to 16x20 is only 3-4X, 16x20 prints from 5x7 are often so sharp that they hardly requiring any sharpening before printing.
    The smaller amount necessary to get a larger print from a 5x7 is certainly a benefit as well.

Saratoga, CA

If you want to know what is involved in wet mounting film I made a video ~6 years ago (damn, were does the time go) showing the proceedure that I use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHS5yiF4Mc
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Mr.G

P.S. I have a ScanMate 5000 for sale.

Didn't see where Alan Klein's question was answered.

Epson V family of scanners use a linear CCD technology: http://dasch.rc.fas.harvard.edu/pape...valuation1.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device

Many drum scanners use photomultiplier tube (PMT) technology: http://www.aztek.com/Howtek%20Pages/...master4500.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier

Agree with Randy that Ken Lee's site is one of the best on the topic of film scanning.

PM sent to OP
    Tin Can

Tim Layton just got a Howtek up and running and is now selling scanning services with it. Very interesting what he is doing and seems to be willing to share knowledge.

www.timlaytonfineart.com

Maybe news to some here. At some point I might order a scan. We will see..
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain