Thread: Help me get ColorGetter Falcon Drum Scanner running ?

Help me get ColorGetter Falcon Drum Scanner running ?

hey i have ColorGetter Falcon Drum Scanner i would like to get up and running could you suggest me what software to use and what OS will it work on and what do i need for it ? i have only the scanner with drums no cables etc.
    thanks

Re: Help me get ColorGetter Falcon Drum Scanner running ?

Quote Originally Posted by ViktorK View Post
    hey i have ColorGetter Falcon Drum Scanner i would like to get up and running could you suggest me what software to use and what OS will it work on and what do i need for it ? i have only the scanner with drums no cables etc.
    I suspect that software and OS are the least of your worries. ColorGetters come as two units. There's a scan unit (big, heavy, where the drum goes), and a control unit (looks like an old beat up PC). Without the control unit, the scan unit is just a box of parts. It can not be run as a drum scanner without the control unit.

Do you have the control unit that's paired with the scan unit?

Bruce Watson

Hello Bruce,
    i have just the big heavy thing i am afraid. Any idea where i could get the control unit? or is it just piece of junk worth throwing away like this.

Hello Bruce,
    i have just the big heavy thing i am afraid. Any idea where i could get the control unit? or is it just piece of junk worth throwing away like this.
    Sadly, no. Liquidators routinely threw away the control unit because they just didn't know what it was -- it looks like a worthless old Intel 386 box, but it's far from worthless. The control units contain a board you can't run the scanner without. Sigh. Not to mention the 3.5" diskette (it was 1996 or before remember) that contains the scanner program. Then you need an old Apple Mac (typically running MacOS 9.1 or lower) running ColorRight 5.1 or ColorRight Pro 2.0 (these two programs have nothing in common beyond the name, ColorRight Pro 2.0 is the 16 bit program you really need to do B&W IMHO) to be the human interface and translate what the operator wants done into the appropriate scanner commands. The three boxes talk to each other over HP/National Instruments GPIB cards and cables. Yeah, GPIB. Again, 1996, remember.

It's a shame really. These are truly good film scanners. They were pitched to pre-press houses that needed more range and flexibility than they could get from other solutions. This makes them good "art scanners" and in the hands of a good operator they can produce seriously good scans.

Sorry. Wish I had better news for ya.

Bruce Watson

Hello Bruce thanks for the detailed reply but to put it simply. if i were to find the "card" ( do you know what card is it?) and put it in some "old 386 box" would it work or is the control unit different from the setup i asked about?
    and it is not possible to run the scanner even if i had the control unit without the " 3.5" diskette" ?

so to sum it up i need to plug the scanner unit into control unit with the 3.5" diskette and then from there put it in old Mac with ColorRight Pro 2.0/5.1 ?

thanks

Hello Bruce thanks for the detailed reply but to put it simply. if i were to find the "card" ( do you know what card is it?) and put it in some "old 386 box" would it work or is the control unit different from the setup i asked about?
    IDK. Some say that card in the control unit is matched to the card in the scan unit. If that's true, then the answer is no. If it's not true, then the answer is probably a yes.

The above assumes you find a working 386 computer that meets the specs, has this "special circuit card" and a GPIB interface card that's configured properly.

and it is not possible to run the scanner even if i had the control unit without the " 3.5" diskette"?
    Nope. Got to have the boot diskette. Otherwise the scanner is "brain dead". It's been so long I don't remember if the scanner boot diskette is linked to the hardware or not. I'm thinking there might be some serial number matching, but I just don't remember.

so to sum it up i need to plug the scanner unit into control unit with the 3.5" diskette and then from there put it in old Mac with ColorRight Pro 2.0/5.1?

thanks
    No. You need a scan unit, a control unit, and an old Mac desktop computer, all properly connected via GPIB, to be able to run a ColorGetter. The control unit boots from the ColorGetter boot diskette, while the Mac boots up MacOS 9.1 (IIRC, 8.5 to 9.2 should work), then you start ColorByte's ColorRight Pro 2.0 software on the Mac *after* the ColorGetter front panel shows you that it's in "Ready" mode. So once the scanner is ready, you run ColorRight Pro 2.0. And once that connects to the scanner, then most of the functionality is accessed through the Mac.

Really, if anyone is going to buy a ColorGetter of any vintage and configuration, they have to make the seller demonstrate that it's working by making an actual scan for you. That way you know he's got all the required parts, and they are all configured correctly. Then you buy the entire turn-key system from him (including a drum mounting station! Very important. And a light table big enough to set the mounting station on. Must have to do this kind of work). While you're there, get some lessons in how it's done; will save you a lot of time getting good scans if someone who knows how shows you the way. Just sayin'.

If anyone wants to know more, check the archives of the Yahoo "Scan Hi_End" group (I'm not sure I spelled that right, you may have to search around to find the right group). Lots there, including things like how to properly configure a GPIB card, etc.

Bruce Watson

Great thanks i was not bought i just got it so there is no loss but it seems the unit will sadly have to go to trash as the chance o get it all right seems minuscule. Anyway thanks for the info it was interesting to learn a bit!