Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: schneider center filter on rodenstock lens?

Re: schneider center filter on rodenstock lens?

Some of the Metrogon filters appear to be metal sputtered through a mask.

Since Jac brought it up, yes I have a CF for the Metrogon.

It flared a lot even in diffuse light. I cleaned it as much as I could, so it wasn't dirty as far as I could tell. I stopped using it (recently shot some 8x10 slides with the Metrogon even and the fall-off was not noticeable in that situation...but YMMV depending on the photo).

It was also colored so no good for color work but great for b&w! If it didn't flare anyway.

As for the original question, it might be best to use the "intended" CF but a CF designed for a similar lens or FOV with the right size/threads pretty much should work a-ok. I wouldn't hesitate to use my Schneider 3B on my Rodenstock 90mm if need be, because I have it already and it fits the same.

If your goal is to photograph a blank grey wall with perfect even density throughout the entire image with a wide-angle, get the exact CF specified by the manufacturer .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    If your goal is to photograph a blank grey wall with perfect even density throughout the entire image with a wide-angle, get the exact CF specified by the manufacturer .
    Interesting. The manufacturers don't quite make this claim. And their specs don't support it. For example, at the edge of its field a 35/4.5 Apo Grandy is down four stops from the center @ f/8. With a two stop center filter, the difference between center and edge will be reduced to two stops.

Fair enough Dan, it was more of a joke though .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I wish someone could give some ideas about constructing a center filter... metal sputtering is not a thing that i easely do...

well i will give a chance to smoking...

Thanks for alll the answers and knowledge

Not to be a complete idiot or anything, but why do you want to make a CF? Do you have an extreme wide angle lens that no existing CF will fit? Are you poor or broke?

A proposito de metal sputtering, the Metrogon CF has a pattern of small dots, closely spaced near the center, farther apart away from the center. Are you acquainted with silk screen printing?

I like doing things... and a challenge is a good thing!!! i´m a teacher and research is a nice thing!!!

CF´s are expensive and maybe people want to have a viable way to make their own...

silk screening can be a bit coarse... but since it´s so close to the lens...

Drew Wiley

Splattered mud or bugs on a windshield? I think that idea has already been tested a few billion times.