Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: schneider center filter on rodenstock lens?

schneider center filter on rodenstock lens?

Hello

would it be usable to put a 82mm IV scheneider center filter (+1.5) on a 115 6.8 grandagon?

would it be usable to put a 67mm III scheneider center filter (+1.5) on: a 98 6.8 grandagon?, a 75mm wa nikkor, a 55mm apo grandagon?

there are manufacturer´s instructions, i know, and Dan´s paper, but can anyone comment on usability or problems?

Thanks

Re: schneider center filter on rodenstock lens?

Should work OK except on the Apo Grandagon.

Thanks!!!

I understand that Rodenstock points towards a +2 filter for 110º lenses ... maybe a 0.5 could be negligible or correctable... any experiences??

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    Thanks!!!

I understand that Rodenstock points towards a +2 filter for 110º lenses ... maybe a 0.5 could be negligible or correctable... any experiences??

Thanks!!!!
    Yes, use the correct filter, the others will result in a hot spot! Why do you think that Rodenstock went to the time and trouble to make a special one just for the Apo Grandagon lenses?

Humm... manufacturer´s go to the time and trouble because they want to sell...

but i will give it a go!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    Humm... manufacturer´s go to the time and trouble because they want to sell...

but i will give it a go!!
    They wouldn’t be able to sell the lenses if the regular center filter didn’t correct the fall off from the extreme wide angle lenses. That is called satisfying their customers.

For that matter, the Schneider CF will not correct the other lenses as well as the correct filter will. But, if you are trying to save money, then the difference probably will not be worth it to you. But the Rodenstock ones are more color neutral and will not have the magenta cast in highlights like sunny buildings with bright metal work.

I have been a long term user of Apo Grandagon 35, 45 and 55mm lenses, and all I can say is that Bob is absolutely right. Center filters for Apo Grandagon lenses have a factor of 2,5x That is OK for 45and 55 apo grandagons, but the 35 has 120º, a huge fall off, and in my opinión based in heavy use for years is that this lens would need an even larger correction. 2,5 is OK with moderate movements, but if you want to reach the limits be prepared to assume fall off even with the 2,5x filter.
    Sinar offered a 2x center filter for their Sinaron WE lenses ( Apo Grandagon 45 and 55) this is OK with moderate shift. If you need to reach the limits, the 2,5x centerfilter is mandatory in the case you use chrome film, which is my case. For lenses with an angle of 100 - 105º you can use Schneider, Rodenstock or Heliopan Center filters. My preferred ones are Rodenstock because they are the slimest and most neutral in 58, 67 and 82mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    They wouldn’t be able to sell the lenses if the regular center filter didn’t correct the fall off from the extreme wide angle lenses. That is called satisfying their customers.

For that matter, the Schneider CF will not correct the other lenses as well as the correct filter will. But, if you are trying to save money, then the difference probably will not be worth it to you. But the Rodenstock ones are more color neutral and will not have the magenta cast in highlights like sunny buildings with bright metal work.

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    Center filters for Apo Grandagon lenses have a factor of 2,5x That is OK for 45and 55 apo grandagons, .
    The first CFs offered for Apo-Grandagons were 2.5x. They were later replaced by 2.0x CFs.

they were really in trouble!!!!

This is a Schneider CF III on a Nikkor SW 75/4.5. It works, it's usable, no problems.