Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista 45d

Wista 45d

Hi there,
    I have a old Wista 45D (i think) and managed to break the ground glass focusing screen recently. I have purchased a grided screen from ebay but this seems not to fit. Does anyone have any advice how I can get a screen for this old beauty. Many thanks in advance!
    Cheers

Re: Wista 45d

the screen you bought too small or too big?

where are you located?

Just order one from a Wista dealer.

Corpus Christi and Hallettsville, Texas, USA

From experience I believe the opening for the ground glass for the 45D is about 2.5 millimeters shorter than others. I purchased a Yanke ground glass/fresnel/grid set from China on the auction site for $110. When I received the package, it consisted of two pieces: 1) a plastic plate that included the ground matte side that goes toward thew len, a fresnel, and the grid (all on one piece of plastic), and 2), a clear piece of glass. I trimmed the plastic piece on one of the short sides with a metal straight edge and a sheet rock knife. I took the piece of glass to a glass cutter/window glass store and they sanded down one long side for $5. This glass is white glass that appears to be untempered. The clear glass does not have its corners cut, but since it is not matte on one side, it really doesn't matter. I took the back of the camera to the glass cutter so they could sand it down until it fit.

Installation is to put in the plastic piece in first with the matte side toward the camera, and then put the clear cover glass over it. Be sure to loosen up the retainer springs for the extra thickness. Be careful turning the screws. The support standoffs for the ground glass are spread apart so if you tighten the spring in the middle, it will bend the glass and break it.

The results are stellar. I love using the camera now. I think the secret to the performance is having the ground matte and fresnel on the same piece of plastic.

Regards,
    Steve Pituch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-6453-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	185248

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Pituch View Post
    From experience I believe the opening for the ground glass for the 45D is about 2.5 millimeters shorter than others. I purchased a Yanke ground glass/fresnel/grid set from China on the auction site for $110. When I received the package, it consisted of two pieces: 1) a plastic plate that included the ground matte side that goes toward thew len, a fresnel, and the grid (all on one piece of plastic), and 2), a clear piece of glass. I trimmed the plastic piece on one of the short sides with a metal straight edge and a sheet rock knife. I took the piece of glass to a glass cutter/window glass store and they sanded down one long side for $5. This glass is white glass that appears to be untempered. The clear glass does not have its corners cut, but since it is not matte on one side, it really doesn't matter. I took the back of the camera to the glass cutter so they could sand it down until it fit.

Installation is to put in the plastic piece in first with the matte side toward the camera, and then put the clear cover glass over it. Be sure to loosen up the retainer springs for the extra thickness. Be careful turning the screws. The support standoffs for the ground glass are spread apart so if you tighten the spring in the middle, it will bend the glass and break it.

The results are stellar. I love using the camera now. I think the secret to the performance is having the ground matte and fresnel on the same piece of plastic.

Regards,
    Steve Pituch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-6453-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	185248
    Next time remember, the center of the Fresnel should be centered on the lens. So you should remove equal amounts from both ends!

Or buy a correct one to begin with!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

my wista cost me $300... why pay that much for a focusing screen?

cut the one you bought. its not that hard to diy.

Dave Karp

Check with Kumar, who is a member here. He can often find what you need for a Wista.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    the screen you bought too small or too big?

where are you located?
    Too large and I live in London

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfutastic View Post
    Too large and I live in London
    Contact Linhof Studio in London, they can direct you to a proper gg for your camera, and a Fresnel.