Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally got a good monitor

I finally got a good monitor

Pardon my exuberance...

I purchased an Eizo CG2420 monitor from CHROMiX.

I work mainly in monochrome, but even with B&W, what a difference between this monitor and my iMac Retina display ! I can finally see all the steps in this image.

Retina displays have wonderful high resolution and brightness, but mine collapses the low values to black, no matter how well I calibrate it. Turning down the luminance to paper brightness makes matters even worse. The Eizo has its own built-in calibration sensor and uses it's own LUT (lookup table) rather than adjusting the computer's graphics card.

Many monochrome images depend on subtle tonality. I have wasted a lot of money and time making trial prints with expensive paper. Having accurate gray balance along the entire tonal scale makes things much easier.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 6-Dec-2018 at 19:52.

Re: I finally got a good monitor

That's great, Ken!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

All you need now is a good chair! Let us know when you find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    That's great, Ken!
    Thanks for your recent good advice about this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    All you need now is a good chair! Let us know when you find it!
    Man you got that right ! I don't know if there is such a thing

I recently used the new linearization software from Inkjetmall to re-linearize the piezography profile for a 3880 running K7 at one of the places I teach at. I used the Spyder Print device to read a 256 patch target. The custom profile did in this case lead to a slightly better print. The process wasn't painless. I followed the instructions, and used the recommended text editor, but Walker was able to fix up the profile.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I use the BenQ 27in monitor for photography. I got two of them. Your new monitor sounds awesome. I use Xrite to do all my calibrations. I also use the large patch for the monitor, something 480 patches. When you find a chair, let me know. I got metal in my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I recently used the new linearization software from Inkjetmall to re-linearize the piezography profile for a 3880 running K7 at one of the places I teach at. I used the Spyder Print device to read a 256 patch target. The custom profile did in this case lead to a slightly better print. The process wasn't painless. I followed the instructions, and used the recommended text editor, but Walker was able to fix up the profile.
    That's tedious work !

I'm surprised the Spyder was able to distinguish between patches whose difference are 1/256 of the scale. When I used mine to do readings for Quadtone RIP and MIS inks, it often gave varying readings of the same patch.

Les

Glad you found something that will work for you, Ken. Any thoughts on the NEC models ? I happen to have one (27") and with the help of super crappy Spyder 3 things are (still) good and balanced. True, I didn't try to print anything, so what do I know :>)

Sam Maloof used to make some really cool rocker chairs (claro walnut) and he even made one for Jimi Carter (if I recall correctly). Ha, you may have to sell quite a bit of your LF stash to afford one.

Alrightie, enjoy the view.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    That's tedious work !

I'm surprised the Spyder was able to distinguish between patches whose difference are 1/256 of the scale. When I used mine to do readings for Quadtone RIP and MIS inks, it often gave varying readings of the same patch.
    Yes! I modified one of Inkjetmall's targets to make it easier to read. I'm not sure that 1/256 is really a practical advantage with a Spyder Print over a target with less patches. The Excel software allows you to see the progression of values, and it'll pop up an error if the steps don't go in order. If I get those, I read the patch multiple times. Eventually it steadies on a consistent value, and I manually enter it. If you want to print off a chart and send it to me to make a profile, I'd be happy to do so. If so, I'll dropbox my chart to you.

Leszek, I have an NEC PA 272W with Spectraview and an i1pro. I'm very happy with it.