Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artifex beta 8x10 daylight tank

Views You Can Use

Re: Artifex beta 8x10 daylight tank

Nice product, being able to process more than one sheet of 8x10 without flow marks or developer anomalies would be good. If anything, maybe have another device, to stack the film sheaths horizontally in a tray on top of each other, use more solution for a large tray such as a wash tray.

I failed to see how this overpriced Stearman Press clone is better than any of the proven solutions. Also agitating 2.2kgs of solution plus however much the tank and accessories weigh will be challenging if not impossible.

I have put on line Part One of a review of the Artifex Beta vertical tank on my youtube channel. Part Two will go online on Nov 21st.

Link to Part One: https://youtu.be/FPfX9Yuu6v4

Enjoy.

Excellent!

Looking forward to next video!
    Last edited by Tin Can; 17-Nov-2020 at 07:11. Reason: Removed incorrect data
    Tin Can

My mistake

Just looked at Calumet Catalogs and their dipping baskets were for Color PAPER not film

The vented sheaths are a good idea.
    Tin Can

I've used the combiplan in a dip and dunk configuration for almost all of my 4x5. It provided the best development for me.

I wonder if HP ever produced an 8x10 version. I know from read Bob S's posts that they had a 5x7 version. I believe that the combi's plastic film holders are far superior to the normal stainless hangers. They are certainly easier to load without an scratching for me.

It would seem that what we really needed was an 8x10 combi-style film holder that one could use in existing 1 Gallon steel tanks. Since I use Pyrocat exclusively, I'm not too worried about the developer costs and with the SP-810 that I am using now in a community darkroom I would go through ~4 liters for 4 sheets anyway.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    I've used the combiplan in a dip and dunk configuration for almost all of my 4x5. It provided the best development for me.

I wonder if HP ever produced an 8x10 version. I know from read Bob S's posts that they had a 5x7 version. I believe that the combi's plastic film holders are far superior to the normal stainless hangers. They are certainly easier to load without an scratching for me.

It would seem that what we really needed was an 8x10 combi-style film holder that one could use in existing 1 Gallon steel tanks. Since I use Pyrocat exclusively, I'm not too worried about the developer costs and with the SP-810 that I am using now in a community darkroom I would go through ~4 liters for 4 sheets anyway.

Mike
    No, just two versions of the 45; the TAnd the L. And the same in 57.
    The T versions were made for daylight processing and there was no way that we could design a lid that would not fall off from the weight of the chemistry in a T version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Excellent!

Looking forward to next video!
    Thank you!

Part Two of the review is online:

https://youtu.be/yOagLYmLotY

Just watched part 2 and the addendum

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    Thank you!

Part Two of the review is online:

https://youtu.be/yOagLYmLotY
    Tin Can

Hello,

I bought the artifex 8x10 tank last year in Hamburg /Germany for 490 €. Expensive, but worth buying. Why ? 6 sheets in a volume of 2.2 liter ( 75 oz). Fast charging (about 6 min for 6 sheets : Time from filmholder opening up to closing the 8x10 tank)

Only one issue: you had to prewash about 10 min to disslove the "film protective layer", so I use FOMA film and I only fill in the developper if the water is absolutly clear ! (appr. 10 times fill /refill). If not,
    you will get after developping the film areas of blue isles in contact to the sheet holder. If you have this issue, dissolve 5 ml RODINAL developper in 20 ml water, put your finger in this developper solution after fixing bath and discard these areas while rubbing with your finger on the blue isles (these isles are NOT on the emulsion side !!)

Handling is very easy, i do not regret this investment - expensive - of course but you can make stand developpement with only 2.2 liters of developper. I used Jobo paper drums before: 4200 liter (!) of developper for 2 sheets (stand developement) The jobo expert drum 3005 is expensive (670 € and only for 5 sheets, no stand developement)

For 4x5 users I think Artifex tanks are to expensive - they do not worth the monney.

Peter, Dortmund (Germany)