Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like slide film for scanning

I don't like slide film for scanning

I got one that looks really good on light table, but when I scan it, it looks like crap. Every slide has a color cast too when scanning. I am saving as raw tiff and regular image tiff. The raw looks better but still has a cast. I have to crank p the brightness to get the shadows, but that brings noise.

I am curious if someone would lje to take a crack at it? I could send slide to them ifsome one wants to try. If I can fix the cast during scan I would have a useable file to start with. I can get rid of most of it in PS.

Seems I may have found a short coming with the V850. I may pop for a drum scan at the camera store I go to to see if it is just the slide and scene or yhe V850.

I use Vuescan and tried Epson scan which absolutely blows! I might try silverfast next.

Re: I don't like slide film for scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Seems I may have found a short coming with the V850. I may pop for a drum scan....
    If you decide to have a drum scan done, try Lenny Eiger. I was impressed with the drum scan he did for me. I have no affiliation with him, other than being a satisfied customer.

http://eigerstudios.com/contact

I would certainly consider a drum scan, which isn't cheap for 8x10", but the quality of the output is stunning, especially in the shadows. The flatbed can never pull that out.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

What I am interested in though, is whether or not this slide, while looking good on a light table may not be well suited for scanning. If it sucks from a drum scan as well, then it is no good for scanning period. I have had good scans of slides in the past before and I have had negatives that looked good on a light table but sucked for scanning. I may have not exposed it enough. Hmmm.

Does it have a high density range? What's the film?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, link Steven to your DIY scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Does it have a high density range? What's the film?
    Tin Can

Provia RDPIII 100. I think it does have. No pure black, but very dark moody image of sunset in Palouse WA. I got the sunset good but foreground is dark although looks proper on light table. Fairly large dynamic range.

I will photograph slide tonight while still mounted and post up with the scan.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiFormat Shooter View Post
    If you decide to have a drum scan done, try Lenny Eiger. I was impressed with the drum scan he did for me. I have no affiliation with him, other than being a satisfied customer.

http://eigerstudios.com/contact

If you decide to go the drum scanning route, I also recommend the services of Lenny Eiger. Over the last 6 years, I've sent him 10-15 scans per year. Mostly 617 and 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmo View Post
    If you decide to go the drum scanning route, I also recommend the services of Lenny Eiger. Over the last 6 years, I've sent him 10-15 scans per year. Mostly 617 and 5x7.
    Sounds good. I am gonna try the place local I normally go to for other camera gear. They have a dedicated lab that does drum scans. I just need to see if it is image, me, scanner or both. If slide, I will need to expose differently or do my scan set up differentlly.

One thing that concerns me is the colorcast I always seem to get with slide film and it is never the same slide to slide. I profiled my scanner, but it doesn't seem to help. I have to tweak the color settings for red, green, and blue channels prior to make the final scan. So annoying, must be doing something wrong. Negatives of any flavor always come out good.

I find Velvia 50 chromes easier to scan than negative color. If you have a color cast, why not remove it in post processing. It should be easy to do.

How do you scan with Epson? I scan flat using Epson Scan software except for setting the black and white points. I get 90% color right just with that. I then tweak the rest in Lightroom.

Shadows are a problem with flatbed scanners. The scanner just can't seem to get through although the V850 is suppose to be better at that because of its high dmax (4.0) than my V600 (3.6).

Can you post a scan of the picture?