Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Shorpy Today . . .

Re: On Shorpy Today . . .

Thank you for letting us know what it is. So much on the forums and online it is nearly impossible to keep up. Almost a full time job just trying to figure out the acronyms so many use - especially the digital types.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

One wee boo boo that Shorpy consistently does is they'll show an image made with a Cirkut camera and they'll say "panorama from 5 glass plate negatives" or some such. But I visit often. I like the "random play" that LOC doesn't have. LOC is sort of overwhelming. Shorpy is like a radio station. some of the songs you really like, and others, not so much. But it's always different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Use this thread to post occasional inspiring pics from yester-year.
    Wow, I'm in love with the water movement. What an amazing shot!

For some reason I can see it now and +1, stunning image.

Jack Delano, 1941, Anniston, Alabama

Another car buddy of mine sends me an email asking me how did the photog get the guys ghosted in with the car lights going through them. Here's my answer.

Camera's on tripod for long night time available light exposure. Begins exposure, cars are going through. There's a guy at the corner of the store there the whole time breaking the car lights right there. The soldiers come along and Delano puts his hat over the camera. He asks the soldiers if they will be in his image while they wait for the bus. Sure. Tells them to be still. Gets a flash bulb ready. Takes the hat off the camera and walks to the left of the camera location and pops the flash bulb. Ends exposure. The break in the car lights by the middle guy's belt buckle is from the street sign post for the Hwy 78 sign.

See anything I missed? Oh yeah, the soldier at the corner has both legs down but when Delano walks to the side with the flash bulb, he figures it'll look better with one leg up leaning. FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    First, I'm going to move this to "On Photography" as the image-sharing subforums are really for sharing the pictures we make.

I think it's OK to link to pictures on other sites so long as posters adhere to any stated usage rules and have something to say about the pictures they share and why they find them interesting, so that it's truly commentary and discussion about photography rather than just pointing to or replicating the other site's content.

Of course it's always OK to draw attention to the resource itself, so that people can bookmark and follow it per their own interest.

In that vein I'd like to mention the photograph collections at the Library of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/

Shorpy's acknowledges that they draw a substantial amount of their posted material from the LOC. The LOC also has the advantage that unlike at Shorpy's, the pictures are well-annotated, and you can generally see which ones were captured in large format and are within our scope.

So let's leave the thread open for now and see how it goes.
    LOC is a world's gem.
    Every time some fellow complains about USA, for any reason, I say "but they created and maintain the Library of Congress".
    But most Brazilians do not know what that really means, despite LOC's huge brasilianist archive.

I made a slideshow youtube video a few years ago with images from the Shorpy site. The music is composed and performed by my #3 son. I think all the images were made by Lewis Hine but I may be mis-remembering.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Shorpy, the human being, was known as Shorpy Higginbotham and was a child coal miner who appears in some of Louis Hines' child labor photographs.

Les

Thanks for posting that, Jim. Nostalgia!!!