Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4X5 with Profoto (B1)

4X5 with Profoto (B1)

Does someone shoot LF camera's in combination with Profoto (B1)?

Let me go more in detail on what I'm aiming to do.

I am a portrait maker and story teller.

On the first; it's easy. I make portraits.
    On the second; it's trying to capture a large image of a concept, situation, alternative world.

Until now I did this digitally with my Canon 5DMK3.
    But following the example of one of my favourite photographers (Gregory Crewdson) I want to start and make my large work on my Large Format camera.

This means; lights, lights, lights.

So I was wondering if others here work with LF camera's with strobes on location and how they work.

Re: 4X5 with Profoto (B1)

Do you currently use them with your Canon digital? They work the exact same (assuming you use shuttered lenses), only you can't preview as easy as digital.

I've been practicing all that with Bowens Esprit strobes and a Sinar Norma.

Technically, the only problem that I had is that the old contacts in the LF shutters may not make a good electric contact. Those contacts were made for switching a higher voltage (than the one used today) and because of a thin oxid layer it may missfire the flash.

To avoid problems I made an auxiliary triggering circuit, this is a 9V batt feeding the PC conector in the LF lens, the PC output goes to an optocoupler (CNY74-2, cheap), then to a resistor and then to the batt negative. The other side of the optocoupler it's what triggers the remote link for the flash.

Let me know (PM) if you have problems with that, (this may depend on the shutter model), I'd send you easy instructions to solve that if you have that problem.

In practice I found pretty useful using the DSLR to evaluate illumination, not the same result than with film but it's interesting learning to interpret the DSLR image to predict the LF film result, a flash meter can be of great help, but the dslr image also shows how the rim/effect is working, the fall, the light modifications, the glares, etc

At least the DSLR pre-shots help to not wasting film while learning (in my case).

I've also rigged the DSLR to the Sinar for two things (shooting at same time), one is determining if the shot was good, face expresion and open eyes, people like to close eyes when you are to shot and you have to guess what you may have in the sheet.

The other situation, I was testing pseudo i-TTL with the Sinar-Nikon rig, so with low ambient illumination and LF slow shutter speed I made the LF shutter fire the DSLR, and the DSLR was TTL/Ratio controlling the strobes, in that case I was using Yongnuo YN685 i-TTL Speedlight flashes instead the Esprits.

Let me add an opinion, some praise the beauty of natural illumination (me also), but if one learns to illuminate like Karsh then he has a few more choices...

This sounds like a lot to me.

I want to, fcourse, try it first on a smaller project.
    I had a loose hot shoe with cable, but it's not firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I've been practicing all that with Bowens Esprit strobes and a Sinar Norma.

Technically, the only problem that I had is that the old contacts in the LF shutters may not make a good electric contact. Those contacts were made for switching a higher voltage (than the one used today) and because of a thin oxid layer it may missfire the flash.

To avoid problems I made an auxiliary triggering circuit, this is a 9V batt feeding the PC conector in the LF lens, the PC output goes to an optocoupler (CNY74-2, cheap), then to a resistor and then to the batt negative. The other side of the optocoupler it's what triggers the remote link for the flash.

Let me know (PM) if you have problems with that, (this may depend on the shutter model), I'd send you easy instructions to solve that if you have that problem.

In practice I found pretty useful using the DSLR to evaluate illumination, not the same result than with film but it's interesting learning to interpret the DSLR image to predict the LF film result, a flash meter can be of great help, but the dslr image also shows how the rim/effect is working, the fall, the light modifications, the glares, etc

At least the DSLR pre-shots help to not wasting film while learning (in my case).

I've also rigged the DSLR to the Sinar for two things (shooting at same time), one is determining if the shot was good, face expresion and open eyes, people like to close eyes when you are to shot and you have to guess what you may have in the sheet.

The other situation, I was testing pseudo i-TTL with the Sinar-Nikon rig, so with low ambient illumination and LF slow shutter speed I made the LF shutter fire the DSLR, and the DSLR was TTL/Ratio controlling the strobes, in that case I was using Yongnuo YN685 i-TTL Speedlight flashes instead the Esprits.

Let me add an opinion, some praise the beauty of natural illumination (me also), but if one learns to illuminate like Karsh then he has a few more choices...

This is the circuit (click to enlarge...):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	___circuit.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	185084

You can buy the CNY74-2 at www.mouser.com, some $1, there you have also the datasheet.

If you use a higher voltage then increase proportionally the resistor, say R2k for 18V.

I use a Calumet branded studio flash with 4x5. It was inexpensive, but works, and takes Elinchrome accessories. I have used it successfully with a standard lead to my shutters. It has worked fine with that, and with cheap radio triggers. I've used three lenses, an old 210mm Symmar convertible, a more recent 210mm Symmar and a 150mm Sironar. Shutters are Compur, Copal and Prontor Pro. The cable can get in your way, however, especially if you're moving around a lot adjusting pose, reflectors, etc. The radio thing just hangs discretely out of your way. I also have a (large) battery pack for the flash which gets rid of the mains cable. Again, useful if you're moving around a lot.
    Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use strobes with large format in studio, and strobes with mechanical film cameras (medium format) on location. Both examples are for portraits, both are great solutions.

To power the strobe pack on location, I use either available mains power, or bring a small portable gasoline powered generator. Works a treat.

In both cases, with large format in studio and medium format on location, I use radio triggers connected to the shutter with a PC cable to the radio trigger. It works well. Neither my LF or MF setups have hot shoes, and neither camera has on board metering. I use a flash meter for exposure.

An important decision to be made is, what lighting effect is desired. This leads to asking how much light is needed and which type of modifiers are required. My portrait setup is typically one light in a soft box, with or without a reflector. Simple and portable.

Foamer

Assuming you have Copal lenses, no problem. Connect a trigger (or sync cable) between post connection and the flash. Use a flash meter to get an exposure. I use a Minolta IVF. I used six monolights for the photo below, using radio triggers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DAIRfairviewS.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

It is indeed a copal lens.