Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cascade Film Holder Case velcro-attached shoulder straps - Have they worked for you?

Cascade Film Holder Case velcro-attached shoulder straps - Have they worked for you?

I am contemplating some limited production of the Cascade Film Holder Cases. In years past, I sold detachable shoulder straps as an accessory that attached to the case via the velcro accessory strip on the inside surface. If you have used one of these, I would appreciate your feedback.

• Has the velcro attachment method worked to your satisfaction?'
    • Has it been reliable for you?
    • Any other suggestions?

I have not begun production so this is not an invitation to order anything. That will be posted in the For Sale section when and if I have some available.

Thanks for you input and support!!

Bruce (AKA Photobackpacker)
    Bruce

Re: Cascade Film Holder Case velcro-attached shoulder straps - Have they worked for y

Hi Bruce,

I bought a Photobackpacker case for a Deardorff 8x10 that I owned at the time. I used the handle attached via velcro, and it worked fine. There was enough velcro contact to hold the weight of the camera.

As for film holders, I have both 8x10 and 5x7 cascade film holders. I like them, because they protect the film holders, prevent dust from getting to them, and the like. Whereas the handles made sense for the cases, I doubt that I would use the handle on the film holders. I would more likely carry and stow the cascade film holders without the handles.

One pretty much has to carry a Deardorff separately in many instances, and your case made that possible. But, I don't see that being the situation with cascade film holders.

Re: Cascade Film Holder Case velcro-attached shoulder straps - Have they worked for y

I second Neil’s observation that the existing Velcro holds the cascades together, I only wish i had purchased more when i did.

I remember you posting some time back about having trouble finding a supplier to make the cascading holders. I immediately thought of bucksbag.com in Boise, ID. They specialize in bags (obviously) but they might be worth contacting if you are still pursuing this item.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I have both 5x7 and 8x10 cases; the 5x7 works well for 4x5 holders as well. I was hesitant at first thought of the replaceable shoulder strap secured by velcro, since my structural engineering background caused me to wonder about the possibility of the velcro separating due to a "peeling" action (like peeling a banana). But after reviewing your description detailing the method of attachment (with the velcro placed underneath the wrap-around cover, my concern was alleviated. I'm very pleased with the strap, since it's removable and can be transferred to whichever case size I use. At my age now I'm pretty much restricted to short distances from my vehicle; backpacking has seen its day, so the strap allows me to just take a few holders, camera/tripod over the shoulder, and a very tiny daypack for all the other accessories - a happy "camper" here.

I've used the detachable strap for my 8x10 Cascade Film Holder case, but I can't say that I totally trust it; I tend to keep a hand around the bottom of the case because I'm paranoid that way! Perhaps, some day, I'll get brave...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    I have both 5x7 and 8x10 cases; the 5x7 works well for 4x5 holders as well. I was hesitant at first thought of the replaceable shoulder strap secured by velcro, since my structural engineering background caused me to wonder about the possibility of the velcro separating due to a "peeling" action (like peeling a banana). But after reviewing your description detailing the method of attachment (with the velcro placed underneath the wrap-around cover, my concern was alleviated. I'm very pleased with the strap, since it's removable and can be transferred to whichever case size I use. At my age now I'm pretty much restricted to short distances from my vehicle; backpacking has seen its day, so the strap allows me to just take a few holders, camera/tripod over the shoulder, and a very tiny daypack for all the other accessories - a happy "camper" here.
    Thenks, Jerry. The force exerted on the straps are a sheering force rather than a parting force. My only concern was that the system would be weakened with successive attachment and detachment. Thanks so much for you input.

Bruce
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I've used the detachable strap for my 8x10 Cascade Film Holder case, but I can't say that I totally trust it; I tend to keep a hand around the bottom of the case because I'm paranoid that way! Perhaps, some day, I'll get brave...
    Gotcha. I understand.

Thanks for the input.

Bruce
    Bruce

I have the 4x5 and 5x7 cases, and have been very happy with both. I've experienced only one "film holder dump" with the 5x7 case when one of the shoulder strap velcro attachments became detached, and that occurred only because I was in a hurry and failed to properly attach the strap to the velcro. Fortunately the other attachment held, the holders remained zipped up tight and protected within the case, and no harm was done. Since then I've been more careful and so far haven't had any problems.

Bruce, I've been more than satisfied with my two 5x7 Cascade cases - onto one of which I've installed the velcro'd strap holder, which I also trust completely when I put this into use with a strap.

I would likely trust this velcro a bit less were I to be removing and reinstalling this frequently - but I don't do this...as I see no need to remove the assembly, regardless of whether or not I'm using a strap. My tendency going forward would be to simply purchase another such assembly to permanently install on my other case.

But...as I see the presence of the D-rings to be of no negative consequence when not in use (when no strap is attached)...I'm led to wonder why you don't just omit the velcro entirely, and simply stitch the D-rings into place permanently? Just a thought!

At any rate...I would look forward to any future plans you might have for producing more of these cases - thank you!

Thanks, Eric. I appreciate your confidence and input.

Bruce
    Bruce