Thread: Hello from Germany

schatten & licht nomennominatur's Avatar

Hello from Germany

Hi!

I am yet on the verge of entering the intricate world of LF, and I am looking foreward to it. I have read some of the articles on this site and have just begun to browse some of the threads.

I have very recently purchased a vintage 4x5“ monorail in very good condition with one lens to start. Although I opted for the monorail, I intend to use it mainly in the field (obviously in the vicinity of my car). It has yet to see some action (arrived just yet). It seems very appropriate to me, that the 1960ies Schneider Kreuznach Symmar returns to its city of manufacture

I have come from 35mm film to digital, back to film, recently entered MF (TLR & SLR), getting slower and more purposeful along the way. I am not sure, whether LF and me will bond, but I am thrilled by the prospect of giving it a try. I always found my tilt/shift lenses a bit limiting and have been intrigued by the full movement options of view cameras for a long time, albeit only in theory.

It seems that I am on a „back to the roots“ quest of some kind. Dunno, where it will take me. It will be a huge step away from my previous, rather instantaneous way of viewing & framing. www.galerie-elsner.de (text in German, but text is unimportant).

Sorry for the lengthy „introduction“.
    Kind regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9536BAD1-D441-46FE-9D87-B2BD4A48A282.jpg  

Re: Hello from Germany

Welcome aboard. I really enjoyed the images in your galleries!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

loujon

Welcome to the band brother! The work on your website is terrific and from the sounds of it you'll fall deeply in love with large format photography & it's 1 sheet @ a time kind of process.
    It's this "process" and the way it slows one down forces/allows you to focus/study the scene in a more deliberate way that makes it so wonderful. Not always the right tool for image making but for portraits, landscapes & still life table top and alike type of work it can't be beat. Loads of fun and most times no one gets seriously hurt. Most times!

BTW- That's a lovely Linhoff rail camera and hoping it brings loads of joy.

schatten & licht nomennominatur's Avatar

Thank you for the kind replies and the warm welcome!

The joy of the Linhof, I guess, will always have to wait for some serious lugging around to be performed first

The only thing that might get seriously hurt is my wallet by having too many non-keepers during the learning curve. But then, I guess, that’s part of the thrill.

The LF community here seems to be an amicable bunch, so I look forward to joining the novice ranks!

Well, you have the the right monorail for taking into the field. Those Linhof Colors are light weight!

Welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you!