Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Next step up from Epson scanners

Re: Next step up from Epson scanners

My Microtek Scanmake i900 scans circles around the Epsons. Separate bed underneath for negatives to 8x10, no glass in the path. The brand name has changed, but there is a newer model. I don't recall the new brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My Microtek Scanmake i900 scans circles around the Epsons. Separate bed underneath for negatives to 8x10, no glass in the path. The brand name has changed, but there is a newer model. I don't recall the new brand name.
    I have a older Microtek, I don't use it that often, it works great with Vuescan software. I run a nice Nikon Coolscan V for 35mm. There's no glass in between with the Microtek film holders except for 8x10 negatives. All I scan is color reversal film and occasionally b&w. I would definitely take the D850 route with a motorized Beseler carriage and white LED light box before I would take for ever fiddling with a scanner. Even the old school Nikon PB4 bellows and a slide copier attachment with a bellows lens.
    Having said that my old Microtek has a 20 slide holder, I think it would take 4 hours to scan that many.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    using my Nikon D850 , a 120mm f/6.3 Micro Nikkor beats my Epson V750 Pro scanner hands down. Am producing digital files from 35mm up to 11x14 films. For shooting 35mm chromes, the V750
    Greg, this is true and false, depending on situation.

This is true because the V750 extracts only 8,5 Mpix effective of a 35mm shot, while the D850 may extract perhaps 30Mpix effective (if the shot also has that level of quality).

But it is false because for 8x10 the V750 extracts 300MPix effective and the Nikon D850 only 1/10 of that.

Of course with the copy stand you may take very tinny crops to even beat a drum... if later stitching the crops in Ps.

But really it makes little sense the copy stand, as a cheap roll film dedicated scanner like a Plustek 8xxx is a better choice. And for LF the V750 anyway delivers an insane amount of image quality exceeding demands for most jobs.

(The 30Mpix effective is for BW targets, less for color as the D850 has 22 green MPix, and 11Mpix of red and blue, so with a red subject you have a 11MPix hardware limitation).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    and for accurate color reproduction.
    Not at all, I don't agree with that. The V750 is IT8 calibrated and what's not IT8 calibrated is the Nikon D850, specially if you have custom settings like "vivid" or not saving raw. You may like more the D850 colors, but the calibrated ones are those from the V750.

IMO these scanners offer superb prices for quality work.
    One recently listed on eBay for $1 and $59 Shipping (excessive) ended with no bids. Included everything from original box except one of the targets.

Working with one for eight months, and thus far have scanned 10k in A120 negs.
    Purchased a BU a few months ago off eBay that included everything including the original box. Many eBay listings of these are priced too high and are absent nearly all the original accessories (requires shopping).
    I've never scanned any 8 x 10 negs, however tested the lower platen glass some years ago on 4 x 5's and was not pleased with the quality (didn't try elevating the neg or emulsion).

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Purchased a BU.
    I must have missed something what is a BU?

Very timely thread. For those of you with a Microtek i900 scanner, is there a driver for windows 10? I did not see one on the website but then again I may have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    I must have missed something what is a BU?
    Back up

Not that I'm aware of. In 2011 I downloaded all the drivers that were available. Have blank folders for 7_32 & 7_64.
    If your able to locate a 7_64 driver it may work on the W10.
    Don't recall if I have the i900 installed on my XP64 machine, which I rarely use and is boxed away.

On a google Microtek suggested using Vuescan for W10

Artixscan is the newer name

IMO the next step up, in a similar price range, is something like the Microtek M1 scanner. It's basically a better Epson (like for example, actually focusing on the film). I had one for a while and it was quite good. I never scanned 35mm on it though.

There's also some cheaper high-end flatbeds out there, if you can find them and get them running and keep them clean. I used to have an Agfa (rebranded Microtek or something) T2500 that was great, but had some dust issues inside on the sensor. I couldn't ever figure out how to open it up and clean it though. I retired it once I couldn't get SCSI to work on my Windows machine. Another option in this space is the Polaroid SprintScan series. Never used one but have seen good scans from them.

And then finally the high-end flatbeds that are big, somewhat expensive, and require legacy hardware, such as what I use now, a Screen Cezanne, or the iQSmart, Eversmart, and other models.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome