Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Next step up from Epson scanners

Re: Next step up from Epson scanners

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Not a fan of the blown-out sky, upper right. It wasn't nearly so contrasty on your flat file so not sure what exactly in the editing process did that. The darker tones have this lifted look, like you overused the shadows/highlights tool.

Your original edit, other than the magenta bias, was much better IMO. This one looks like an overcooked digital file to me. The overall color palette just seems odd. Sorry if that comes of a bit harsh - just my opinion so feel free to ignore.

I still just feel you are trying to wrench this negative film image around to make it look like something it wasn't designed to look like. One thing I feel about color neg film is that adding saturation doesn't look natural (same with digital which doesn't seem to take well to excessive color saturation, turning the image into candy-colored mess).
    I liked my original I didn't increase saturation though. In factI pulled it down. It does appear to be cooked as you say. The blown out part I am not a fan of either and it was there to start, but cropping out maybe is too much. I made a print to look at for a while. I am still leaning towards original. The colors in this one are in your face too much I think. The only thing I didn't like with my original was the slight haze on it. However, this image has been saturated by uploading to flickr which is annoying. I appreciate your candor. Comments are valid.

Thanks for input.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Try not to use exclusive resolution for the web. Resizing when not done correctly by software that you have no control over you can get colour changes.

I resized using photoshop. The jpg and original look the same, butvwhen uploaded, the file is altered. I dont have control over what flickr does though. I thinknthey are doing something that alters file.

One thing is hard remembering what looked like. It was definitely moody and the sky was very colorful. I am not sure the cliffs were quite so red. I am gonna look away and study the print version and make final decision to leave as is or start from scratch. Not in love with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I dont have control over what flickr does though.
    It's not flickr... this is an old issue...

Just check you upload sRGB, see exif from you file. Also be careful with Ps because you have several proof choices for the displaying.

Then we have color-managed browsers...

Google this. "Flickr: The Help Forum: Color change from CS3 to Flickr"

see there: converting (as opposed to assigning) to sRGB

Yes I convert to srgb and softproof to srgb. My converted files match my proof files prior to upload. After upload they are changed. That is fact. In fact flickr converts everything to srfb and jpg so there maybe a double conversion going on.

Try to upload a jpeg srgb...