Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Next step up from Epson scanners

Re: Next step up from Epson scanners

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Multi-pass shots do tend to lose sharpness, but some systems take multiple readings without moving the reading area. So, for example, move sensing area to point A. Take 4 readings. combine readings. Move to point B. Take 4 readings... This methods tends not to lose any sharpness.
    That is what the Epson V850 does when I use Vuescan. Moves to spot 1 takes 16 samples (that is what I set it to), moves to location 2 takes 16 samples and so on. I don't know if Silverfast SE PLus has that function to make V850 do that. So for me using Vuescan, I get less noise and no loss of sharpness, but I do not allow the scanner software to do anything other than scan and save file.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Steve, I think the multi scans are just making both pictures fuzzy and blurring the results. Do you have single scans? Also, can you provide a single scan where no changes were done? I'd like to work from a flat scan. 8 bits are fine. If you can;t do flat scan with Silverfast or Vuescan, can you use Epsonscan? Then I'll do my editing of your flat image.
    See response to Peter De Schmidt.

Yes, I am working on creating a second set of 16 bit files identical in size, etc to the first to put link to. The first link as stated using ME (multi-exposure) and for the Vuescan file it also uses the multi-pass. When you compare those two files there is almost zero difference. The difference i attribute to the algorithms Silverfast and Vuescan use to combine the multi-exposures. That is a guess of course. But the differences are subtle and either scan is more than acceptable to work with.

Should have link shortly.

Here are the links to both sets of files. Be sure that adobergb1998 or whatever profile you use is assgined. Do not do any color conversion or yo uwill ruin the files. Files wit VS are made with Vuescan, Files without VS are made with Silverfast SE Plus

Files with Multi-Exposure
    https://www.steveruttenbergphotograp..._kEF_IACRLkiU=

Files without Multi-Esposure
    https://www.steveruttenbergphotograp...rBXPQY6IA0PqA=

Is anyone using the Epson Expression 12000XL for larger than 8x10? I use a V700 for 35-8x10 but I have been dslr scanning my 11x14 tintypes at this point but was curious if anyone had worked with one. Going to shoot 11x14 film eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    When you compare those two files there is almost zero difference.
    Steven, Multi-Exposure has an effect in very dense areas, specially those from 3.0D to 3.4D (in a V850).

Portra is a film "for prints" (and today for scanners) that makes the job by building moderate densities and it may benefit slightly from M-E in the extreme highlights (high density in the negative).

To see the Multi-Exposure effect one has to see what happens with slides sporting deep shadows. Slides medium is designed to be projected, in that case it's worth building such extreme densities to obtain a breathtaking static contrast.

Portra it's an easy to scan film, first because information is encoded in the negative with lower densities (than slides), and second because it was re-engineered to have larger (overlaping) color clouds to optimize result when it was scanned in digital minilabs.

Inversions:

C-41 film should be inverted (adjusted) manually, here Tim Parkin explains why:

http://www.drumscanning.co.uk/about/colour-negatives/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180430...our-negatives/

Fuji ColorKit, as stated in the link, delivers nice inversions, but if wanting to also adjusting it manually then I see no benefit from doing it with the SF or Epson Scan standard inversions.

Ps has powerful tools to manage color, and if wanting more then we have 3D Lut Creator for total control.

Having those tools, the weak link in the chain is only the operator, he requires skills and having an aesthetic criterion to bring the look to the point he (or a customer) wants.

Here is the link to all the files I made of a scene. Keep in mind the converted images are in no way processed other than an identical conversion in Colorperfect. You can see a slight difference between Vuescan and Silverfast, both using multi-exposure and Vuescan with mulit-pass set to 16 (reduces noise) I don't see an option like that in Silverfast (unless it is just done behind the scenes) Feel free to download and play with. The negatives are linear raw tiff downsized from the full non-linear raw tiffs made at 6000dpi, no color space assigned, so be sure to assign adobergb1998 (do not convert it to that space though)

Shot on Portra 160, no filters at all.
    Steven, nice pictures. Firstly this is a negative, I will take a guess this image with a lack of any specular highlights, would not even have a density beyond 2 on the film. I doubt you will see any benefit with multiple exposure, unless you exposed it at something less than 25 iso. (roughly). I never use more than one scan with negative materials.

Regarding actually setting the actual exposure, you may find that silverfast sets the exposure automatically AND CORRECTLY, vuescan will it do for you by default, I don't think epson software works correctly in that regard, at least on my 4990. The ability to manually set exposure rather than automatically is for me mainly a time saver, no need for preview.

I will download files, BTW If you have ruined sheet of portra 4x5 you use a variation of the method I mentioned earlier to work out where the maximum density of your film fits within the range of your scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Steven, Multi-Exposure has an effect in very dense areas, specially those from 3.0D to 3.4D (in a V850).

Portra is a film "for prints" (and today for scanners) that makes the job by building moderate densities and it may benefit slightly from M-E in the extreme highlights (high density in the negative).

To see the Multi-Exposure effect one has to see what happens with slides sporting deep shadows. Slides medium is designed to be projected, in that case it's worth building such extreme densities to obtain a breathtaking static contrast.

Portra it's an easy to scan film, first because information is encoded in the negative with lower densities (than slides), and second because it was re-engineered to have larger (overlaping) color clouds to optimize result when it was scanned in digital minilabs.

Inversions:

C-41 film should be inverted (adjusted) manually, here Tim Parkin explains why:

http://www.drumscanning.co.uk/about/colour-negatives/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180430...our-negatives/

Fuji ColorKit, as stated in the link, delivers nice inversions, but if wanting to also adjusting it manually then I see no benefit from doing it with the SF or Epson Scan standard inversions.

Ps has powerful tools to manage color, and if wanting more then we have 3D Lut Creator for total control.

Having those tools, the weak link in the chain is only the operator, he requires skills and having an aesthetic criterion to bring the look to the point he (or a customer) wants.
    I have tried the multi-exposure with slidees as well and Ibstill don't see much benefit, it may work in some cases, but if there is no detail to start with it won't help. If you want, I can send you an actual slide of a problem scene forbyoubto play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Steven, nice pictures. Firstly this is a negative, I will take a guess this image with a lack of any specular highlights, would not even have a density beyond 2 on the film. I doubt you will see any benefit with multiple exposure, unless you exposed it at something less than 25 iso. (roughly). I never use more than one scan with negative materials.

Regarding actually setting the actual exposure, you may find that silverfast sets the exposure automatically AND CORRECTLY, vuescan will it do for you by default, I don't think epson software works correctly in that regard, at least on my 4990. The ability to manually set exposure rather than automatically is for me mainly a time saver, no need for preview.

I will download files, BTW If you have ruined sheet of portra 4x5 you use a variation of the method I mentioned earlier to work out where the maximum density of your film fits within the range of your scanner.
    Thanks for compliment. I was wondering if it would work with negatives. I will try your method. I am working this photo now, has potential.

it may work in some cases
    ME has a great benefit in dense slide shadows.

If the slide reaches only 2.5D obviously you won't find a benefit, ME is worth when regular way is reaching its limits.

The same than with hdr photography, no benefit if the scene has 3 stops range...