Thread: Century 8x10 crank base confusion

Century 8x10 crank base confusion

Hi all!

So I bought this gorgeous 8x10 Century view camera and have no idea how to mount it to the base. There are a couple hinges in the front, and a lifty thing on the back, but no screw holes in the camera to give me a clue what to do with it.

I’ve only used modern view cameras - this is my first real foray into an antique camera outside of workshops. And apparently I know nothing. I’m the John Snow of vintage equipment! Haha

Any suggestions on where to look for help would be awesome. Is there a site somewhere that has old manuals that might show how they work?

I’m not entirely sure they are supposed to be used together. I may build a little adapter base so I don’t damage the camera. I want to use it, but it’s not very stable like this.

Thanks!!

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8D15B0DE-FD18-4E8F-A1EA-74F9129FE2F2.jpg   7BCC7619-641C-4001-B42C-4375AF90A69F.jpg   4E87B444-C192-4465-B81A-2327FE868376.jpg   10B82CEC-5EB4-42F3-B0D4-49F5588582E3.jpg  
    Last edited by LizV; 1-Dec-2018 at 12:54. Reason: To add last paragraph

loujon

Re: Century 8x10 crank base confusion

Your missing the "top camera platform". Easy enough to make your self it attaches in front via the two hinges and the back rest on the rubber bumpers for tilting forward.
    You'll find your stand on page 7 of the Eastman Professional Photographic Apparatus & Materials 1917 Look here- http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/cata...cproflp695.htm

I think it will make sense once you've studied it a bit but it a top platform and an easy fix. Just make sure you have a a trim piece like screen bead or something to boarder the platform and a big enough piece of felt to cover the platform w/.

Lovely Century Grand you have there & WELCOME to the club! Hey I'm addicted owning at least 8 nice and working Camera/stand Studio cameras 5x7 up to 11x14. Love them all.

Thanks so much, Louis! It's really helpful to have a decent starting point. The missing base will be easy to make.

I just love this stuff.

Liz

loujon

Hey Liz
    I forgot to tell you that the black cast iron rear tilt device attaches to the underside platform at the rear. You can see the two holes in the oblong iron piece that the screws go through and attach to the underside. The two bumpers are for when the platform is at rest.

So the platform is held in place to the front underside w/ the 2x hinges and the rear platform is attached to the iron tilt device w/ (two screws) and when at rest the rear platform sits on the two rubber bumpers. Then you can grab the rear of the platform & tilt the camera forward and the funky tilt device will hold the platform in the tilt position.

I hope this makes sense and helps you figure it out. It will come together if you have a bit of common sense and are a little handy, study the catalogs and any photos online of Century camera stands.

I added a couple of woodcut images from a 1915ish catalog that gives you a pretty good idea of what the platform tilt device looks like in action.

I agree they are things of FUNCTIONAL beauty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture  Century Studio Stands with tilting device.jpg   Capture info for Liz to get the idea..PNG