Thread: Bought a no-name tailboard by accident..

Bought a no-name tailboard by accident..

...and may have a few questions.

Saw an ad in the newspaper that someone is selling camera gear. Promptly stumbled upon this (at a price no one could say no).
    I haven't even half finished building my 4x5 and have the next project here already.

Bellows seem fine, focusing gear is good and the ground glass is in order too.
    Just the plate holders are warped (those not belonging to the the camera are all fine.. and I'm not quite sure about the format? Is ~7x9 a thing?
    Wondering if the holders could be made humid and stuck in a press to dry?

Just missing an affordable lens now. And a job to pay the film!

Re: Bougth a no-name tailboard by accident..

Re: " I'm not quite sure about the format? Is ~7x9 a thing?" If memory serves, 18 x 24 cm (the metric equivalent) is an older European analog to 8x10. Foma still makes film available in that size.

https://www.fotoimpex.com/films/foma...50-sheets.html

loujon

Re: Bought a no-name tailboard by accident..

Could it be whole plate 6 1/2 x8 1/2 ?

That looks like a well made tail board camera and a very positive thing it came with a full lot of matching holders. The holders look like they may pass the light tight test as well. Add lens get some RC paper & load up the holders and go have fun.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 1-Dec-2018 at 11:30. Reason: add

Re: Bougth a no-name tailboard by accident..

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Re: " I'm not quite sure about the format? Is ~7x9 a thing?" If memory serves, 18 x 24 cm (the metric equivalent) is an older European analog to 8x10. Foma still makes film available in that size.

https://www.fotoimpex.com/films/foma...50-sheets.html
    Measured it exactly and it's 23.9cm x 18, so quite surely the metric equivalent. I live in Switzerland so it'd be logic that it'd be metric really, but I forgot that existed!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Could it be whole plate 6 1/2 x8 1/2 ?

That looks like a well made tail board camera and a very positive thing it came with a full lot of matching holders. The holders look like they may pass the light tight test as well. Add lens get some RC paper & load up the holders and go have fun.
    Indeed, but they're nearly too warped to get into the camera, hence me wondering if they could be straightened in a press after bathing in some steam?

I'll adapt a 4x5 lens that has an image circle of 17cm to try it out on some of the paper I have knocking about. I've got a week of me needing some distraction before me, until my exam results come back!

Edit: Did some googling. Could it be a Herbst & Firl Globus M? Not much info or image around to compare to!
    Last edited by Topsy; 1-Dec-2018 at 16:40.

Sorry, only just discovered this thread.

Yes 18x24cm. The maker was almost certainly German - it is certainly German style. France had the same sizes (1885 - 1925) but are different in appearance. Could be either Mahogany or Walnut. Only about 1/4 of these Reisekameras have maker's name or trademarks on them - but the quality of most of them are good.

Plate holders always need work, but these "book" holders are easy to work on.

Thanks Steven,

I'm Almost certain it's a Herbst & Firl / Ernemann camera right now, but waiting on confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Plate holders always need work, but these "book" holders are easy to work on.
    I did a small experiment in the kitchen with our steamer (to the annoyance of my mother ). Put the holder in, steamed it for a bit and immediately placed it in a bookbinders press applying a slight negative bend. Came out good enough to be usable I think.
    Tried the second holder without the steamer but kept it in the press for two days and that also seems to be straightening out fine.

All my best repairs have been done in the kitchen!

I did write about steam and using weights to reduce twisting, but there was a loss of internet and the automatic save function was asleep. Small twists - say 5mm on an 18x24 holder - will be OK when mountedon the camera.

Steam and moisture can loosen the glue of the inside material forming the flexibility of the dark slide sections. ANother common problem is corrosion of the aluminium dividing central plate. The small screws of the hinges may need renewal.
    This is not really a competitor to your 4x5 camera as it opens up the more exciting world of contact printing.

Unless there is a makers name or a trademark, you will never be able to recognise the maker, as there are no distinguishing wood or brass details. Makers based in Gorlitz were adept at designing smart trademarks.

That is a real beauty.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    All my best repairs have been done in the kitchen!

I did write about steam and using weights to reduce twisting, but there was a loss of internet and the automatic save function was asleep. Small twists - say 5mm on an 18x24 holder - will be OK when mountedon the camera.

Steam and moisture can loosen the glue of the inside material forming the flexibility of the dark slide sections. ANother common problem is corrosion of the aluminium dividing central plate. The small screws of the hinges may need renewal.
    This is not really a competitor to your 4x5 camera as it opens up the more exciting world of contact printing.

Unless there is a makers name or a trademark, you will never be able to recognise the maker, as there are no distinguishing wood or brass details. Makers based in Gorlitz were adept at designing smart trademarks.
    I tried the steam with the holder that was in worst shape, don't worry.
    Placed another in the press without steaming it and it got into that~5mm ballpark and works fine now (photo below). Another didn't budge at all though!

It's true that it's not a competitor.. But I did want to step up the size in a "sensible" fashion.
    Can't wait to get the 4x5 finished now though.. I've got materials for my shutter by my mate in the UK but he's failed to post it since August.

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    That is a real beauty.
    Thank you!
    The condition is indeed way better than I would have expected it to be!

Here's a few more photos:

Sorry for the minute lens, I'm trying to rectify that but there's not much around that covers the format and is covered by my wallet!

Eyeballed everything: Agfa Brovira at iso3, lens I figures would be f8 or thereabouts and went with a shutterspeed of 20s, developed in (spent) Rollei RLC for about a minute (under a safelight obviously, to be able to check it)

Will need to fix the focusing, as they're plate holders there's a slight discrepancy between the ground glass and dropping paper in the holders..

The brass finish and the fresh appearance of the mahogany make me wonder if this is a late model (post WW II) made in Eastern Europe? This style of reisekamera (although mostly the smaller sizes) was made until quite late.

I have a number of these 18x24cm cameras and find them very suitable for cabin bagage holiday travel. I always include a couple of screwdrivers as there are many wood screws to check. The only weak point I have found is the central locking wood strip of the base, which needs to move easily in and out of the front standard.

The original lenses fitted to these (1895 - 1905) would have been Aplanats ( focal length around 30-36cm). Busch and Derogy seem to be the most common available, but everyone made good Aplanats!