Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kang Rinpoche S 600 F11.5 (Chinese Fujinon C 600mm )

Drew Wiley

Re: Kang Rinpoche S 600 F11.5 (Chinese Fujinon C 600mm )

Oh, I probably have enough lenses for the duration. I've sold all my duplicate lenses, and will eventually have to start selling heavier gear, but I'm still in plenty good shape to at least day hike with 8x10. Same with shop equipment - keep just what I need for home remodeling and darkroom design, but it's the best. I used to own extra tools when I still owned mountain property, so realistically needed duplicate sets, plus different kinds of things; but I've been selling off the extra stuff for sake of my photography fund. I'd really like to get an Esterly Speedmat cutter. I have a decent linear cutter, but my hands were getting ruined by computers and I could hardly use the thing. But now that I'm retired, my hands are a lot better, so I'm not in a rush. I also generate extra cash from my cabinet shop equipment, but don't know if I want to start making my own portfolios boxes. They'd certainly look nice and custom, but wouldn't really be any cheaper than manufactured museum cases. My big flat files are custom made.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The problem with that, Pfor, is that a lot of ULF folks make rather, er, ...(trying not to offend anyone), creative rather than crisp shots which objectively present the capability of the lens. And this would have to be done on an optical bench basis rather than using a conventional film holder in which the film tends to sag. In other words, the capability of the lens itself has to be isolated from other variables. But since there's a used on up for sale at Catlabs, somebody must have tried it first, and it could be backtracked that way. But one or two lens users out there somewhere (maybe) does not equal the manifold testimonial of Fuji 600C users.
    Why don’t you post some images, taken with your Fujinon, from where you sit in your Ivory tower?

Your pomposity is breathtaking...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Drew Wiley

Prints are not the same things as a web posting. I'm not trying to be impolite, but I don't even own a digital camera, my copystand is dismantled, and I no longer maintain a website. Web surfers don't do me any good. Every single print I've ever sold in my life was sold because someone saw it in person. I'm not in an ivory tower whatsover. There are more kinds of people interested in photography than just forum members. I have a major body of work and that is what I concentrate on. It's fun and often informative to engage in this kind of forum, but that's not the objective of my darkroom work. If you can't accept that fact, you might as well reject the work of every generation of photography prior to the introduction of the web - the whole 150+ years of it. I'm not against visually posting things - I just have other priorities. The mere fact you ask for visual comparisons of ULF lens A versus lens B in a web version pretty much defeats the whole point. It's like trying to saw down a three-foot diameter oak tree with a fingernail file. You might argue that that's just how its done today. Says who? If you want to be limited by that, fine. I have my own parameters.

Images via the web can never reveal or express what the print can do in real life under the proper lighting and viewing conditions.

Some years ago at a LF print sharing event. One of the participants share a print with me. Reply, digital B&W print with too much post process sharpening and more. Turns out, this was a digital B&W print that was film based lens aperture of f90, scanned then post digital processed to make a digital print.

For those who know precisely what to look for and what a GOOD silver gelatin print can be under the proper lighting and viewing conditions, these SG prints are magic. The magic of excellent SG prints can NEVER be view as a web based image. It starts with the digital process, then electronic transmission, then viewer limitations and a LOT more.

What does this mean for individual who have never had the real world experience of knowing, seeing and appreciating what a excellent Silver Gelatin print could be.. their point of reference and deeper understanding, deeper appreciation of what is possible with SG has not good point of reference.

Much the same applies to high quality color prints from the past like Ciba-Ilford chrome prints done as good as they could be.

Here lies the most significant and serious problem with image sharing via electronic transmission, it can never be as good as the analog original. Trying to make judgement based on electronic transmitted film based-analog prints is pure folly as it can only present a highly processed version of the original.

Bernice

Lachlan 717

You’ve missed that I was referring to you unwavering reverence towards the Fujinon, regardless of whether this is a good lens or not.

You’ve decided already that it’s not up to YOUR standard, dismissing the possibility that it might be comparatively as good, let alone better, than the Fujinon.

The point of the presentation of the mobile phone mast was to take a step forward - that being, does the lens show some degree of quality of imaging. It was not to be the critical decider; more just a confirmation that this lens needs further investigation.

And, by the way, your claims about your body of work and selling prints are basically inconsequential to this discussion. You opinion is simply one of many, regardless of whether you claim it as fact or not.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Much more useful than this quibbling would be to hear an actual witness of the quality of this lens. I've heard (was it on this forum or elsewhere?) that there are tons of LF or even ULF users in China - isn't there anyone who would find its way to this forum to proudly announce its personal testimony about the lens? Not even one who uses this lens? Did they all go underground with their knowledge? Isn't there anyone from our Chinese members who could bring us the news? I wonder.
    Pierre has one and posted in this thread...

Pierre said he owns the S600 and showed us 2 pictures (one taken on a hazy day of a very dusty scene). Hardly witnessing the actual lens quality though. A more serious approach would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Pierre said he owns the S600 and showed us 2 pictures (one taken on a hazy day of a very dusty scene). Hardly witnessing the actual lens quality though. A more serious approach would be better.
    Three

通过我的 MHA-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

You mean, you also count the one about which you don't know if it was taken with 600 A or with S 600? How kind and useful of you!

I have been taking apart the shutter of a Fuji GX680 lens. It is a weird combination of a motor to tension the spring and some electronics (sadly in the body) the set the speed. Selecting the speed is just a digital coded switch. Should continue with that project one day.

But a small cpu and the motor as used for the diaphragm of almost all AF lenses would be easier. The hard part is the mechanics, not the electronics.
    Expert in non-working solutions.