Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Kang Rinpoche S 600 F11.5 (Chinese Fujinon C 600mm )

Re: Kang Rinpoche S 600 F11.5 (Chinese Fujinon C 600mm )

Well done comparison, Randy...
    Empirical data is where it's at....

Thanks Pali and Dugan!

I wish I had a Resolving Power Chart, next time I will.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Thanks Pali and Dugan!

I wish I had a Resolving Power Chart, next time I will.
    http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/ph..._test/USAF.pdf

Randy, just print that with any printer, if print quality is really bad then place it a bit farther... always you have to apply the magnification ratio anyway... or just post an scan (to know the magnification) and I'll tell you the reading, just you should also say what pattern is the last good one where you perceive lines orientation when inspected with any strong magnifier, say a cheap jewelry 60x loupe.

That's the one I used in the pics. I just reprinted it to check.

I use it all the time. But read Pali's new scanner post.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/ph..._test/USAF.pdf

Randy, just print that with any printer, if print quality is really bad then place it a bit farther... always you have to apply the magnification ratio anyway... or just post an scan (to know the magnification) and I'll tell you the reading, just you should also say what pattern is the last good one where you perceive lines orientation when inspected with any strong magnifier, say a cheap jewelry 60x loupe.
    Tin Can

Lachlan 717

Anything new on the results from this lens?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

What do you want to know?

Right now I am busy with the Print Exchange.
    Tin Can

Lachlan

My 7X17 does not have enough bellows, the ones I have on it won't stretch far enough.

I sold my field 11x14 as I realized i won't be hiking with it.

My Deardorff S11 11X14 can do macro with the Kang Rinpoche S 600 F11.5 and perform extreme movements with 75" of extension.

However field use with ULF is the Kang Rinpoche S 600 F11.5 lens speciality.
    Tin Can

So acquired a KangRinpoche 600mm F/11.5 S Lens a few days ago, mainly for use on my 11x14 Chamonix. Was from a Japanese dealer who rated it "93% EXC Very good condition with some signs of use" Upon very close inspection, I'd rate it Mint + because I could see no signs of use. Copal 3 looks to be in "as new" condition. With original IB, packing, and inside its original box. I honestly don't think that the lens was ever used. Came mounted in a NIKON brand Linhof style lensboard which also looks like it was never mounted in a front standard judging from its flawless black paint.

My impressions so far... Its maximum f/11.5 aperture throws a nice surprisingly bright image on the GG. F/stop scale is marked down to f/128 but can be stopped down to an unmarked f/256. Sweet spot, for me, seems to be f/64. I did shoot one negative at f/128. At f/128 diffraction definitely makes itself known when you look at the negative with a Horseman Precision 4X Lupe, but judging from a contact work print, it looks to be just fine for contact printing (or maybe I've just been shooting too many 11x14 pinhole images). Coverage of this optic exceeds the front maximum rise movement on my 11x14 Chamonix. Cross section of the 600mm KangRinpoche in its paperwork matched (if not exactly) the cross section of the 600mm FUJINON-CS in my Fuji lens brochure. My closest optic to compare this lens to is my 508mm f/7 Caltar. Shot one scene with both optics and sharpness and contrast were very much alike. I was surprised though at how much the difference of 92mm in focal length made, but that is a subjective opinion on my part. KangRinpoche rates the optic's image field at f/22 at 680mm, certainly way more than I will ever need.

I was very hesitant on buying this lens after all it is only 92mm longer than my Caltar and more than a stop slower. But after using it in the field for a few days, this optic is definitely a keeper. Initially I was saving up to acquire a Fujinon C 600mm F11.5, but couldn't find one FS at a reasonable price. The last one I found in absolutely MINT condition was just shy of 5K, the KangRinpoche cost me 1/3 of that price!