Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking with the Arca Swiss 8x10? How to efficiently fit into f64 large backpack

Backpacking with the Arca Swiss 8x10? How to efficiently fit into f64 large backpack

I am looking for advice on how to most efficiently organise/pack the 8x10 arca Swiss F C with standard and bag bellows. A photo of the pack would be great!

Currently I am finding I need to take the frames off the carriers and carriers of the rail in order to pack it.

Perhaps there is a better way?

Re: Backpacking with the Arca Swiss 8x10? How to efficiently fit into f64 large back

Have you checked out Ben Horne's YouTube channel? He talks there about how he packs his A/S 8x10.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bensdmkII

Re: Backpacking with the Arca Swiss 8x10? How to efficiently fit into f64 large back

I carry mine in a One Planet Ned travel pack. The camera sits on a 15 cm rail which I then slide into a 50cm telescoping rail on the tripod. In the case of the 8x10 Arcas, the telescoping rail is a little easier to pack than the equivalent with a folding rail. I'm surprised that you're having to take the camera part to fit it all in though.

I have the 4x5 model, not 8x10, and just bought one of these: https://www.peakdesign.com/collectio...=9783969284140

it fits the camera (I have the folding rail) collapsed on it's rail, assembled, with a lens, as well as film holders, a few extra lenses, light meter, with room for a water bottle, food, and a tripod attached to the outside. Big bonus is it doesn't look like I just came down off the mountain, and I can use it for other things around town.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I have the 4x5 model, not 8x10, and just bought one of these: https://www.peakdesign.com/collectio...=9783969284140

it fits the camera (I have the folding rail) collapsed on it's rail, assembled, with a lens, as well as film holders, a few extra lenses, light meter, with room for a water bottle, food, and a tripod attached to the outside. Big bonus is it doesn't look like I just came down off the mountain, and I can use it for other things around town.

Hi!

Hahaha, it seems that we share similar tastes for gear ;-) I'd love to have a look at your backpack because I was interested in that model. I have the Everyday Sling 5L and I love it!

Bye!
    Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    Have you checked out Ben Horne's YouTube channel? He talks there about how he packs his A/S 8x10.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bensdmkII
    Ben now backpacks with an Intrepid 8x10.

I backpacked with my Chamonix 8x10, three lenses, and 6 holders this past fall on a hike into the Escalante area. I used a Gregory Baltoro 85 backpack. My total weight with everything including tripod was 55 pounds. Make sure you use a backpack that fits well and can hold the weight. For the most part the weight was handled nicely by the pack. First days hike was about ten miles to the campsite. At 66 years of age, I managed fairly easily.

Jim, you're still a kid!!!! I don't think I'd be up to packing 55 pounds 10 meters let alone 10 miles anymore. Enjoy your youth while you still have it.

Drew Wiley

Einstein's unpublished law : G = mc 2, gravity equals personal mass (lard) times personal chronology, squared.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Ben now backpacks with an Intrepid 8x10.
    Hi Jim,

are you sure? I spoke with him a few weeks ago and was under the impression that he's still using the Arca. I'll have to ask...