Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Phillips Compact II: pics

8x10 Phillips Compact II: pics

Greetings!

Pictures of the 8x10 Phillips Compact II are hard to find (I actually could not find a single one, only some pics of the horizontal-only Explorer). So, let me try to fill the gap: you can see some pictures of a vintage 2005 model. It weighs a bit more than 4kg, and less than 9lb.

http://largeformatphotography.info/cameras/phillips/

Lovely. Or as lovely as camera photos can be. Lovely enough to make me forget about how nice Leicas are. And maybe even lovely enough to make me seriously consider shooting 8x10 again.

How about some more photos of the hard to find exotics? I'd love to see more photos of Phillips other cameras - I really like his design solutions - I saw a 4x5 Phillips and thought it was the nicest 4x5 I ever saw too (even over Arca and Linhof).

On second thought, maybe not. Phillips seems to be backlogged and I don't want more people ahead of me in line...

Thank you Marco! I was one of those who were searching very extensively for pictures of Mr. Phillips's cameras! I rehosted them here.
    Full with mission!

Thanks for posting these pics. I'm looking for an 8x10 and I wondered about this camera.

How does one focus with this camera? I see the knob coming out the rear at the bottom center. It looks like this moves the front? Is that right?

For anyone who has laid hands on this camera, how would you compare its ease of setup and rigidity to Deardorff, Wisner or Canham wood cameras?

Thanks.

-Ben

You are what you see

Ben,

You are correct about the focussing knob. I got my Compact II in June and thus it is the current version. My prior field 8x10 was one of those Dorf copies, a Rajah, and that is the only one I can compare the Compact with. My first use of the Compact was on a week long shoot in Kauai and this involved lots of hiking. I really appreciated the lightness of the camera, as I was able to put it, three lens, four holders, light meter, and tripod together for about 40 pounds total (camera is 8.5 lbs.). The camera gave me no grief and was easy to set up provided I check to make sure the white markers were aligned for zeroing out the front standard alignment (not a problem even in low light situations). It has excellent rigidity. The 10-20 mph tradewinds were most always present and yet most of the 80 photos were sharp. It sets up uniquely. The front standard screws into one of several holes, chosen depending on lens focal length or anticipated bellows extension. The front standard is zero set by the use of a small tab that extends over the standard's frame. The rear standard can be moved over large distance quickly by releasing two knobs. The lens board is locked into place via a pivoting metal frame piece. Bellows extension is about 22 inches, easily accommodating my Fuji 450 C , and (on the other end) my Fuji 120 wide angle was also accommodated. There is a small strap attached to the front standard and it has velcro so that it can be attached to velcro located at different places on the bellows, to prevent bellows sag. The rear focussing knob is quite innovative and locks down with a slight movement of the attached lever. After using that Rajah for ten years, it was great to graduate to the Compact II.

--Howard

Bellows extension is 26 1/4 inches, not 22.

The images were initially posted on Yahoo, and several readers had problems to view them. I have rehosted them on this server, edited the original posting, and removed the comments about not been able to view the images. Thanks to Marco for emailing the images.

"How does one focus with this camera? I see the knob coming out the rear at the bottom center. It looks like this moves the front? Is that right?

For anyone who has laid hands on this camera, how would you compare its ease of setup and rigidity to Deardorff, Wisner or Canham wood cameras? "

the Phillips review on this site answers most of the qurestions
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/phillips.html

Although the review is of the Explorer not the Compact II, it is essentially the same camera pared down. Focussing system is the same and well described (although the way the knob is attached has been improved on the new model).

Rigidity - I find mine one of the more rigid cameras I've used. Once it's locked down it's far more rigid than any of the Deardoff's I have tried (including the couple I owned) - haven't comparded it to the other two, but it's close to being as rigid as my old Sinar F1 4x5
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Is the Compact II still limited to horizontal only? I can't quite tell from the pics.

Ben

The Explorer is the pared down version of the Compact II. To save weight and bulk, Explorer has a horizontal back only (so it only needs to be 8x10+ not 10x10+ = lighter and narrower bellows) as well, the bellows are shorter.

The Compact II has a vertical/horizontal back and most of the other attributes of a regular 8x10. The other main compromise for weight/rigidity is slightly shorter than normal bellows 26" or so rather than say 30-36+ inches. (other than that, all the weight savings come from innovative design. It is a fully functioning 8x10 with slightly short bellows than some (and imo functions far better than most!).

Longest lens I've used on mine is the Fuji 450mm - no problem with that at all. Shortest was a 110mm I borrowed once
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog