Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Contact Print Presentation

4x5 Contact Print Presentation

To try and get me out of this Photography block, I have been thinking about doing a small project on 4x5 film and contact printing them but don't want to end up with just a pile of prints.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has done a similar project and especially how they presented the final images

Re: 4x5 Contact Print Presentation

Make a book out of them. You can consider matting them and investigating a binding technique that will work well with the thick "pages" of your matted prints. 4x5 lends itself particularly well for close distance viewing and a book is a fairly space-efficient way to store the prints when not being "used". Moreover, book binding Isa pretty awesome craft that I find is nicely complementary to "wet" photography. There's nothing quite like holding a self-made book of genuine self-made prints.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Make a book out of them. You can consider matting them and investigating a binding technique that will work well with the thick "pages" of your matted prints. 4x5 lends itself particularly well for close distance viewing and a book is a fairly space-efficient way to store the prints when not being "used". Moreover, book binding Isa pretty awesome craft that I find is nicely complementary to "wet" photography. There's nothing quite like holding a self-made book of genuine self-made prints.
    I like the sound of hand bound book, thanks for the suggestion

I did this for a project many years ago and drymounted the prints on 9 x 12" 4-ply matts. Since it was a personal project, I never went any further with the presentation, but the individual prints looked very nice. IMHO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    I like the sound of hand bound book, thanks for the suggestion
    Look into Japanese stab binding. Works really well to bind single prints.

Art stores like Dick Blick etc. Sell loosely bound small rag paper sketch books. Make some dbl. wt. prints on real contact paper. Use some genuine Ace photo corners if you could find. Or just bind the prints. This is a something I want to do is a portfolio of small prints.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Learning to bind a book would be great.

A year ago i had to do a ontact prints display, i mounted all the prints in 5x4 holders which added some visual interest.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    A year ago i had to do a ontact prints display, i mounted all the prints in 5x4 holders which added some visual interest.
    Very neat idea.

brooks jensen of lenswork online has done a number of portfolio/books/binding methods... he has a video that explains the evolution and the things he did... it includes the upside and downside of the methods he used for each... certainly on lenswork online - maybe on you tube?

jvo

Recently saw a show of 4x5 Pt/Pd prints in 8 ply mats set in 14 inch square frames. It looked very clean and invited close inspection of each print. I noticed a lot of folks would look, move in close and after moving on - come back to a number of images.
    The rectangular images in square frames with all that matboard looked very nice.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.