Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which tank would you prefer for 4x5

Re: Which tank would you prefer for 4x5

Peter, the straws concept may predate the slosher by a century... it was used in the dry plate era, I was told

and a retired photographer told me that he was using "stainless steel sterilization baskets" in the 1970's in the slosher style

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53847.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	184900

Sadly summitek is not manufacturing any more...

http://www.summitek.com/products.html

I like the straws / sticks idea. I will probably stick to what I already have. For a person wanting to make pictures, and not buy equipment, looks good.

I am starting to lean towards processing less, but at better quality. Right now, i am catching up on scanning my negatives to the computer and finding out that a lot of them are junk, about half of those from poor development. The other half from missing an exposure by a stop or wind. So, I think the best way is to move towards more in camera skill and development skill, which means going slower, 1 or 2 frames at a time. For sure, there will be times, when I will process a bunch at once, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I am starting to lean towards processing less, but at better quality. Right now, i am catching up on scanning my negatives to the computer and finding out that a lot of them are junk, about half of those from poor development. The other half from missing an exposure by a stop or wind. So, I think the best way is to move towards more in camera skill and development skill, which means going slower, 1 or 2 frames at a time. For sure, there will be times, when I will process a bunch at once, but not always.
    If you are learning towards processing smaller #s, I would say you should consider the BTZS tubes. I bought a set from the classifieds when I first got into 4x5 and I still use them for developing one or two sheets, especially for N +/- development. Only uses 2 ounces of solution. I tend to not get great results from Pyrocat with some films in tubes, but for "normal" developers they work well. I think this is due to the tiny amount of developer, possibly just due to measurement errors, so YMMV. Just remember to account for the constant agitation compared to trays.

BTZS tubes aren't great for color though due to having to change developers but it's doable. For 8x10, I now do a hybrid BTZS / tray development for different steps of the process.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

most of the time I am a low volume shooter, and rather than hook up the Jobo 3010 on a Simma roller, when I process 1 or 2 4*5 sheets, I just fill 2 5*7trays with developer (~300-500 ml), and leisurely process them indiviually (2 trays at the time), spending 15 minutes or so in the dark, play music and relax. I agitate the trays constantly but slowly, lifting the negatives 3-4 times out of the developper (wear gloves). Works like a charm: no scratches, no uneven devlopemnt..

Good luck,

Cor