Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens for Landscape

Lens for Landscape

Hello, I am trying to decide on a lens for Landscape Photography in the Wet Plate Process. I have mostly done portraits with lenses such as the 300mm and 360mm Carl Zeiss 4.5 lenses. I attempted to shoot some landscape with those lenses and was not pleased overall.

I am looking for ideas on what type of lens would be better suited for landscape.

I mostly shoot 4x5-8x10

Thanks.

loujon

Re: Lens for Landscape

How about a period correct landscape lens or a bit later WA Rectilinear type?

You don't need speed for WP landscape photography so much but you'll want better coverage and as sharp as your vision wishes your image to be. If you want falloff in the corners then stretch the coverage by going to a shorter focal length by a bit depending on size of plate your shooting.

I have a couple of vintage lenses. One Rapid Rectilinear lens that I just remembered when you mentioned it. I don't remember the specs on the lens but it may work. I know its a slow lens but it may not matter.

Was wanting something sharp with good coverage to work mostly from quarter plate to whole plate but may consider 8x10 if the lens is capable.

Foamer

I'm shooting dry plate 4x5 and 5x7 with achromatic doublet lenses vintage 1845 to 1855. Don't see the point of shooting plates with modern lens. My most used is 6 inch on 4x5, 12 inch on 5x7.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I have a Darlot Wide Angle Hemispherical No. 4 that I use specifically for making wet plate landscape works. Its a modest wide angle (probably in the 240mm range) and covers up to 10 X 12 inches, so it allows for decent movements on 8X10. Lenses of this type are very well suited to making wet plate landscape imagery, IMO, because they do not have "modern sharpness/contrast" which can be rather harsh for the wet plate technique. I've used my sharp Ektar 203mm F7.7 on my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras, and unless shot wide open, they are far too sharp for the wet plate medium. Choose carefully! Period lenses may be your best choice.

Here is an 8X10 glass plate negative (collodion) shot with the Darlot Wide Hemispherical:

Dallmeyer Bergheim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accidentsmall.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	184805

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watersedgesmall.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	184806

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I have a Darlot Wide Angle Hemispherical No. 4 that I use specifically for making wet plate landscape works. Its a modest wide angle (probably in the 240mm range) and covers up to 10 X 12 inches, so it allows for decent movements on 8X10. Lenses of this type are very well suited to making wet plate landscape imagery, IMO, because they do not have "modern sharpness/contrast" which can be rather harsh for the wet plate technique. I've used my sharp Ektar 203mm F7.7 on my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras, and unless shot wide open, they are far too sharp for the wet plate medium. Choose carefully! Period lenses may be your best choice.

Here is an 8X10 glass plate negative (collodion) shot with the Darlot Wide Hemispherical:

This may be something I have to look into. Finding a decent period lens that won't break the bank would be nice. Like the photo by the way. Thanks for sharing. Landscape is not something I do very much but I have been thinking about trying some.

Here are really the only two landscape images I have made with the wet plate process. The barn was shot with the old Burke & James Metascope f8 12" 8x10 lens. The other was made with a Carl Zeiss 300mm f4.4 lens shot on f22 at 25 seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img092.jpg   img160A.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jwheeler331 View Post
    This may be something I have to look into. Finding a decent period lens that won't break the bank would be nice. Like the photo by the way. Thanks for sharing. Landscape is not something I do very much but I have been thinking about trying some.
    Thanks, glad you like it.
    The Darlot lens cost me about $225 if I remember correctly. Not expensive at all.

Foamer

The rapid rectilinears are exactly correct for most of the wet plate period. They have apertures of one sort or another, and since they are relatively common they go for very reasonable prices. My favorite RR is the 6 in. f11 in Unicum shutter, about 1901. I paid about $125 for it. It looks really cool too! For wet plate I'd probably go with something from the 1865 to 1880 period, such as the Dallmeyer or Voigtlander RR.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PipoonS.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!