Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: current options for backpacks that will carry up to 5x7

Drew Wiley

Re: current options for backpacks that will carry up to 5x7

Among my packs, I have a REAL Kelty pack, made in Glendale, CA in the 70's. I can pull view camera (incl 8x10) or med format gear out of that and have it operative every bit as fast as any dedicated camera pack, and protect the gear better without a bunch of redundant cushion weight. I just drop in poly kitchen wastebaskets into the top with complete kits (though multiple-system accessory like filters, light meter, certain lenses, go in side pouches). Dividers are made with simple fomeboard (actually, Gatorboard because its more durable), and bubble packing protects items. Plus there's lots of extra room for jackets, lunch, etc. In fact, for over two decades I put a full Sinar system in one of these, 12 @ 4x5 filmholders, PLUS up to 10 days worth of food, mountain gear, tent, sleeping bag etc etc. Approaching Geezerhood, I now use an even bigger true external frame pack for more food room, and have substituted a little Ebony 4x5 folder for long trips. But on dayhikes, I take anything from my Phillips 8X10 to 4x5 Norma, to a P67 system with large telephoto. I suspect that the real rationale for internal frame packs is that they're cheaper to make. But there are lots of "vintage" domestically-made ext frame packs laying around in people's closets - some never even used! They were far better made than imported equivalents. If you take an airline, most of these kinds of packs can be made flat for transport; or stuff your suitcase contents in there, then into a haul bag for check in. The camera gear can go into your carry-on. I'm well aware of the hassle of digging things out in a big internal-frame pack. My nephew was sponsored by North Face and had their really nice $600 huge internal frame pack. After a week hauling that thing over Class 3 13,000 ft ridges, way up in the headwaters of the Kern River,
    he finally discovered that I had stuffed a Duraflame log at the bottom of it. He wasn't amused. That night, when I tried crawl into my sleeping bag, I discovered it was stuffed full of foxtail pine cones!

I can confirm that the Manfrotto Pro light 36 does indeed hold a 5x7 Kodak 2D with 4 holders in the main compartment. If the shutter on my 180 did not crap out on me last night I would have gotten it in the top with my other stuff. Nikon 7100 with 35-80, and 18-55,and light meter.

I’m a happy photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    My nephew was sponsored by North Face and had their really nice $600 huge internal frame pack. After a week hauling that thing over Class 3 13,000 ft ridges, way up in the headwaters of the Kern River, he finally discovered that I had stuffed a Duraflame log at the bottom of it. He wasn't amused. That night, when I tried crawl into my sleeping bag, I discovered it was stuffed full of foxtail pine cones!
    That's hilarious--hopefully you told him that youth is wasted on the young. (I deeply regret not getting into the Golden Trout Wilderness when I still had a reasonable amount of cartilage in the right places.)

FWIW, for folks looking for a load-hauler for open country and/or maintained trails, another option to the Kelty would be a Bozeman-era Dana K2 external frame.

Check with Bruce at PhotoBackpacker. I think he still has some storage/transport boxes for lenses and some camera enclousers too. Send him a PM here. . .user name is "PhotoBackpacker".

Then you can use about any wserious hiker backpack.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

My Ancient LowePro Trekker AW (mid 1980s) can hold my 8x10 Kodak 2D with a mounted lens and 4 film holders. I would think that any of their current Super Trekker line would too.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!