Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beseler CB7 carriage motor problem

Beseler CB7 carriage motor problem

Hello I'm new here,
    I just purchased a Beseler CB7 and a DG-1 color head. Luckily it seems like everything is there and most of it works. The enlarger is the older model silver with a Voltage regulator and Resistrol. I removed both of those. My problem is with the carriage motor. It starts to move the carriage but then strains and seems to just rorate and not raise or lower the carriage. Could this be the motor, or an alignment or gear issue. It seems to me that the motor is fine but the gears or something else is wrong.
    Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Re: Beseler CB7 carriage motor problem

When it stalls try moving the knob by hand. It rotates directly with the motor and is right in front.

It is possible, but very slow to move the head elevation all the way up and down.

If you feel it sticking, it may be the motor bearings, a bad belt or gears.

The motor is very expensive for NOS, I think the 45 MX uses the same motor and belt.

Where are you?
    Tin Can

Hi, I am in Northern California, it moves up and down by hand but is very slow. I am going to take apart the area around the motor to get a look at the gears and belt you mentioned. I have a feeling it is the belt or bearings, I tried adding some wd40 to the rusty looking areas. It looks pretty straightforward as far as taking it apart.

Let me know if you need anything.
    Tin Can

Thanks, we will see

If it's what I think, the drive axle wuth the gears on the end on both sides sometimes will have jumped 1 tooth on the gear on one side causing binding, causing too much tension...

Check for that...

Steve K

I'd make sure the tape measure looking spring in the middle that goes from the top of the frame to the transformer box isn't stuck too; that could prevent movement in one direction.

It's probably something basic mechanical or lubrication.

Thank you everyone for your ideas, I removed the cover over the motor on the front. The belt seems fine, I then moved the head all the way from bottom to top by hand. It sounds like the bearings in the motor are bad or need to be lubricated. After doing that it started to work like normal but the bearings do sound bad. I will check the tape spring from the transformer tomorrow. I have also began lubricating a lot of the parts and applying oil to rusted areas.does anyone know where I can get a replacement motor?

Joel Edmondson

Google Hurst Electric Motors. They make some really great motors including really high-torque motors and a wide variety of speeds and prices are (in my experience) not bad. I made a focussing drive for my Elwood 8x10 and several other similar type applications.

https://www.beselerphoto.com/parts/

I think, but don't know for sure that a 45MX motor will fit a CB7. They look very similar to me.

Ask Beseler.

Look on eBay.

I am keeping my spare...

Good luck!
    Tin Can