Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vuescan acting wonky!

Re: Vuescan acting wonky!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    That would be nice. Save in something like psb format could work to as a ps option. Or go to big tif since most systems are 63 bit now anyways.
    I asked him once if intends to support bigtiff (64bit pointers) and he said no.

When I played around with the compression it does not make a difference, as vuescan seems to look at the resultant size of the scan that is has created temporarily and if it sits above the 32bit limit, it will just rescale it, without telling you.

A solution is to scan in two strips.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

So make two scans and stitch them together? Ugh, seems a pain if you cant save your files at the size required for your desired resolution. That means compromise when you shouldn't have. Pita because file look beat at 6300 dpi. For bw I can scan at 48bitrgb and then output to 16bit gray, but for color negs and positive that is just not acceptable. Perhaps I will win lottery and I can pay him to put some horsepower into his program!

It doesn't scan twice, just once.
    When I set the Media to Slide Film, it makes 2 passes, is this correct ?

Mine does not unless I have multi selected on the input tab

Mine does not unless I have multi selected on the input tab
    I am going to reset the program back to default to see if I just get the single pass

So make two scans and stitch them together? Ugh, seems a pain if you cant save your files at the size required for your desired resolution. That means compromise when you shouldn't have. Pita because file look beat at 6300 dpi. For bw I can scan at 48bitrgb and then output to 16bit gray, but for color negs and positive that is just not acceptable. Perhaps I will win lottery and I can pay him to put some horsepower into his program!
    Stitch? Why? There are only two strips, and your film is wet-mounted, and thus it won't be moving around. Open 1 strip in Photoshop. Spot. Save. Open 2nd strip in Photoshop. Spot. Save. Make canvas of 2nd twice as tall. Open first file and drag the background layer onto second file. Manually align top layer, whether by dragging or using arrow keys. It should align no problem. It seems a little odd that you're willing to go to rather extreme measures to maximize quality, including thinking about making analogue unsharp masks and scanning them, that you'd balk at spending a little time and effort doing something that, according to your tests, leads to higher quality.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I do panorama stitching and it always had its pitfalls. I have never done it manually so that is why I am a bit hesitant. But I wil give it a try. I am going to great lengths to squeeze out the performance so I am trying to minmize steps necessary to get a scan of original image. If scannung in strips is the only way then that is what I have to do.

While I would like 6300dpi for 4x5, I cannot get there from here without extra steps. In this case, scanning in strips, etc. If I scan at 6000dpi (really no difference between 6000 and 6300, except for the insane pixel peepers) This appears to net me a full file upon saving that I do not need to do anything special too. The file is basically a bit shy of 4gb mark after scanning and saving. Also learning quite a bit more about Vuescan. Finally figured out how to adjust brightness value of rgb for Epson Scanners. Only way to do this is to lock exposure. I am sure everyone knew that, and buried in the manual somewhere to I believe. But I learn better by trial and error and asking questions and writing/talking about what I am doing much better than by reading some instructions.

Apart from an increase in file size, are you seeing any noticeable increase in image quality when scanning in strips and stitching together.