Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Super Technika V focus track removal

Vanannan

Linhof Super Technika V focus track removal

Hi
    Can anyone help with this please, the focusing is no longer smooth, I guess it needs a good clean and relubricating and to do a thorough job I need to remove the track, I have had agood look at it and can't find out how to remove it, tried Google, no luck

Thanks.

Re: Linhof Super Technika V focus track removal

Until you are lucky enough to get instructions, you might just to what I do.

Leave the lens board inside the camera body. Put the rail extension to it's maximum length. Drop the bed so it tilts forward if you can. It is very long and makes access easy. Swab the rails generously with isopropyl alcohol. Exercise focus and rails. Blow clean. Repeat. No lube is required.

...and what Bob Salomon said!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Until you are lucky enough to get instructions, you might just to what I do.

Leave the lens board inside the camera body. Put the rail extension to it's maximum length. Drop the bed so it tilts forward if you can. It is very long and makes access easy. Swab the rails generously with isopropyl alcohol. Exercise focus. Blow clean. Repeat. No lube is required.
    To do this remove any cam before you drop the bed to prevent bending it!

Once you get it clean as above, go to a hardware store and get a tube of silicone grease, and apply a tiny amount where the track slides, roll the focus track back and forth several times, then wipe off excess with a q tip... Just leave enough on that you can barely feel the grease film...

If it is still binding, there still might be dried grease, or a little fuzz ball that worked it's way onto the slide... Repeat above steps...

If still sticky and you get track apart, rub slides with toothpaste, as this is very slightly abrasive, and the fluoride will prevent oxidation, then clean very well and repeat above steps...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Once you get it clean as above, go to a hardware store and get a tube of silicone grease, and apply a tiny amount where the track slides, roll the focus track back and forth several times, then wipe off excess with a q tip... Just leave enough on that you can barely feel the grease film...

If it is still binding, there still might be dried grease, or a little fuzz ball that worked it's way onto the slide... Repeat above steps...

If still sticky and you get track apart, rub slides with toothpaste, as this is very slightly abrasive, and the fluoride will prevent oxidation, then clean very well and repeat above steps...

Steve K
    Before you do that contact Linhof in Munich and ask them what to use!!!

Tony, I had to do a necessary repair to my old style flat bed Tek III, that required removing the focus track... I suspect the removal might be somewhat the same... Or at least it might give you an idea how Linhof did it in the past...

First, my camera had been modified so that the front bed could be completely dropped off its struts and fall straight down for UWA use...Once the RF cam was removed, it could hang down...

At the end of the rear of the track travel near the hinge, there was a large stop screw that prevented the track from going back too far... If that screw was removed and the bed hung down, the track would come off the rear of the track...

On many press cameras I serviced, tracks would bind up due to moisture that would work it's way into the tracks (due to barometric pressure) and not leave, causing internal corrosion... Tracks would have to be removed, polished, lubed, and reinstalled... Then they would ride smooth again...

They would polish with rubbing, lapping compound, or even toothpaste as that contained fluoride that prevented corrosion on aluminum, or Noxit used by the electrical trades...

If used, this would need to be cleaned out throughly before reinstillation, and a little silicone grease or petroleum jelly film...

Don't just remove the bed strut mounts, as there is an adjustment for the bed straightness under those, but if you have to, a straightedge or flat metal block between the rear and front rails should get you very close to straight alignment if you have to remove the strut mounts...

If it doubt, send it out... ;-*

Steve K

Vanannan

Hi
    Thanks for all your advice, I have managed to retract the focus rack sufficiently to access the drive cogs, all cleaned and lightly lubricated with Moby grease, focusing is now really smooth.

Thanks again

Moby grease!?!! Is that whale oil?!??

We don't use that in the states no more... :-0

Congrats on your mission!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Moby grease!?!! Is that whale oil?!??

We don't use that in the states no more... :-0
    It was one of the nicknames, as was blackfish oil, a euphemism for pilot whale oil which was wonderful for lubricating cameras used in arctic conditions.

It is difficult, sometimes impossible to synthesize some natural products. Gelatin is another one.

Vanannan

Hi Steve
    Although there was a Manxman on the Piquod there is no connection other than my typo, I should have typed Moly (Molybdenum Disulphide) grease not Moby