Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stand for a 24x24 Chamonix

Re: Stand for a 24x24 Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm surprised Randy Moe does not have one of these transmission jacks. Holds >1000Lb and can be had for about $250. If not taking pictures, you can change your transmission too...
    Attachment 184722
    I did when I changed transmissions for a living. Far better than doing it on your back with the front wheels on a curb...and that tiny thing would collapse with the shit I was doing.

Gave that crap up 10 years ago when I retired.

Never again...

I want robot cars and robot mechanics ASAP!
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    In the studio I am in the process of modifying an ironcast based studio stand that I was gifted. 100 lb base with a pedal to lift the roll around on castors. The rise and fall is geared.
    Look forward to seeing your work

Monty
    hey monty !

i was gonna suggest looking for a semi centenial stand ( like yours ? )
    i don't know the #-system but they are pretty gigantic
    has a bed that slides forward with the front standard
    and a counterbalanced system to rise / lower the camera...

OP sometimes they are sold for not too much money they can be broken down into
    a shipping crate but they weigh a ton .. not quite the $25 shipped! they sold for new back in the day ...

good luck !
    john

Check out the "Uline" catalog on line - they have a wheel-mounted scissor jack lift for a bit over US$500. Quick glance at the specs mentions 51" extended height (platform deck level). Definitely a studio item, though it looks like it could handle patios/sidewalks/pavement.

I have a lot of top quality heavy gauge steel-wire shelving from Uline for my photo gear, house plants, etc. Great place to do business. You might also check out their steel-wire shelving, which can be fitted with wheels/dollies, though the scissors jack is totally adjustable.--alfredian

Perhaps look into motion picture support. The larger models with 150mm bowl or Mitchell tops will easily support 150lbs or more. If you use a Mitchell top there are inexpensive (eBay of course) risers to get more height. I have an old obsolete tripod with a Mitchell friction head that would hold up a car! Tripod dollies are cheap too. I always thought the O’Connor Hydroped was very cool. They are also obsolete and not expensive if you can find one, uses a gas charge for the column.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm surprised Randy Moe does not have one of these transmission jacks. Holds >1000Lb and can be had for about $250. If not taking pictures, you can change your transmission too...

Attachment 184723
    I like that solution. Looks cool. And if tyranny goes out, you got a lift to help fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I did when I changed transmissions for a living. Far better than doing it on your back with the front wheels on a curb...and that tiny thing would collapse with the shit I was doing.

Gave that crap up 10 years ago when I retired.

Never again...

I want robot cars and robot mechanics ASAP!
    Lol. That is why I got life time warranty from manufacturer for my truck.

This looks promising for sure. Some of them even look like they can tilt. The trick is finding one with a good range for subjects sitting and standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I like that solution. Looks cool. And if tyranny goes out, you got a lift to help fix it.

I'd keep my eyes out for a Linhof DE LUXE CAMERA STAND or similar other brand. These are so large and heavy that shipping costs are prohibitive, so sellers are more prone to offer only "you pick it up". Over the years have seen several go for only a few hundred dollars with again that caveat "will not ship, must be picked up". Well worth a day or two or even three of driving, could be well worth the road trip. Seriously considered buying one about 10 years ago, but at that time my daily driver was a restored 1974 VW Beetle... no way it would have ever fit inside the Bug.

I agree and once saw 2 of those really nice Linhof stands, but not FS, just passing through.

I want one also, but I do wonder if it is wide enough between the uprights for a 20X24 camera.

Don't buy transmissions stands, most are very wobbly and real pieces of crap. It will never work for a big wood camera.

Maybe OTC. I had one of these...OTC The Revolver.

I needed it, but obviously not good for wood cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'd keep my eyes out for a Linhof DE LUXE CAMERA STAND or similar other brand. These are so large and heavy that shipping costs are prohibitive, so sellers are more prone to offer only "you pick it up". Over the years have seen several go for only a few hundred dollars with again that caveat "will not ship, must be picked up". Well worth a day or two or even three of driving, could be well worth the road trip. Seriously considered buying one about 10 years ago, but at that time my daily driver was a restored 1974 VW Beetle... no way it would have ever fit inside the Bug.
    Tin Can

Here IS the money answer. They look like a trans jack.

Take your pick!
    Tin Can