Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quality Papers

Re: Quality Papers

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    ...Ilfobrom Galerie. It is unfortunate that all the contrast grades are not available...
    Not even 2 any longer. Grade 3 is all that's still being manufactured.

Link to official confirmation of that please.

B&H still has 16x20 in stock and 8x10 on Back-Order, not "Discontinued."

I love Galerie. For me G3 is a little heavy on the contrast. Seems closer to a 4 filter when printing MG.

I have an 8x10 negative from shooting yesterday I am going to try contact printing tonight on G3 though as it's a bit flatter than I normally develop. Maybe I'll have to standardize on that development if G2 is going away I still have a few hundred sheets of it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Link to official confirmation of that please.
    What we know is that Galerie grade 2 is no longer listed on the Ilford Photo website - only grade 3 is - and there's a long thread at Photrio that started with someone in the UK reporting that a salesperson in Mobberley said grade 2 was discontinued.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...tinued.163560/

Thanks Oren. I saw the thread after a Google search. I hope that the salesperson is wrong. Seems strange to me to "announce" a discontinuation by just zapping the product page.

Just this year I stocked up on G2 and G3 Galerie and like them a lot. My first graded paper experience.

I just asked Ilford/Harman about it via their website contact form.

Kevin Kolosky

Seems like a lot of folks responding to my question like Warm Tone papers. Interesting. I never thought I would hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    Seems like a lot of folks responding to my question like Warm Tone papers. Interesting. I never thought I would hear that.
    somewhere there's a thread discussing using using iflord warmtone with moersch SE6 blue paper developer and then toning it gently with selenium. I tried it and works well if you prefer a more neutral or even cooler look. Whites of paper borders aren't as brilliant as reg multigrade though, but prob the route I would go if I was setting up to do a serious printing session in the future.

Drew Wiley

I won't repeat everything I said on Photrio, but have recently discovered Bergger Prestige VC Neutral Tone (not WT) to yield richer cool prints in amidol than Galerie, and do it without worrying about keeping different grades on hand. The only real minus is that it doesn't selectively bleach well.

What's been working really well for me, in terms of the range of tonalities/colors/contrasts possible...is a combo of two Ilford papers (MGFB Classic and MGFB Warmtone) and two Moersch developers (4812 and SE-6), with occasional use of 1:19 KRST. I do not ascribe to the protocol of simply toning everything in KRST, as I do not always like the results.

I must say that I sometimes find Ilford Classic to be a bit too light sensitive...at least when working with the Heiland LED VC head for prints up to 16x20. My "workaround" for this involves either powering down the Heiland and/or using a 150mm G-Claron lens, which is optimized for use at f/22. By the way, I've been extremely impressed with this lens for enlarging from both 4x5 and 5x7 negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    ...using a 150mm G-Claron lens, which is optimized for use at f/22. By the way, I've been extremely impressed with this lens for enlarging from both 4x5 and 5x7 negatives.
    Hi John - how large are you enlarging typically when using your 150 GC? 4x typically? Just curious as I have one and use it photographically and it is definitely a great lens. I have also noticed the Ilford papers being very fast!