Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality Papers

Kevin Kolosky

Re: Quality Papers

"I realize its subjective opinion, but I would like to know what you think are the highest quality photographic papers"

A half-dozen have been mentioned. Consider them "highest quality" by preference of those using them. The list will likely grow. What papers do you presently prefer?

Robert Bowring

Oriental VC FB has always worked well for me.

Bergger (glossy) is my favorite paper but I love the weight of the Oriental papers but still not sure about the look of Oriental. Plan to try Adox. Time Machine access would see me buying truckloads of Brilliant graded glossy
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Kevin Kolosky

"What papers do you presently prefer?"

I have pulled the Sinar, Hasselblad, and Beseler out of storage. Its winter in Minnesota. Might not find anything worth printing. But I should have some paper on hand if I do.

I note that Alan Ross uses Ilford papers for the Yosemite Edition prints he does.

By the way, the AA exhibition at the Yosemite Museum earlier this fall was wonderful. The quality and color of the prints was absolutely lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    "What papers do you presently prefer?"

I have pulled the Sinar, Hasselblad, and Beseler out of storage. Its winter in Minnesota. Might not find anything worth printing. But I should have some paper on hand if I do.

I note that Alan Ross uses Ilford papers for the Yosemite Edition prints he does.

By the way, the AA exhibition at the Yosemite Museum earlier this fall was wonderful. The quality and color of the prints was absolutely lovely.
    Good to hear that you have the cameras out of storage! I think you will be happy with one of the Ilford papers.

Ilford for me, I like the slightly cream base of the warm tone glossy fiber base paper and the warm tone of the image. I also like the variable contrast system and the consistency that Ilford applies to the publication of technical information for their products.

Eric Biggerstaff

I agree with the replies stating that most papers available today are very good.

I tend to favor Ilford Classic in the neutral (slightly warm) tone and the Ilford Warmtone is awesome with the right image. Foma 111 Varient in glossy is great and tones very nicely, also if you like the Foma paper you will like the Arista EDU Ultra equally well. I do love the Adox as well, but it is a tad bit more expensive than the others.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

In my limited printing experience:
    Bergger NB has a very rich tone and is cooler than the ilford MGFB Classic. I like it developed with Ansco 130 1:1 for an almost blue tone.

Ilford MGFB Warmtone is my favorite for toning, but Classic is nice too. Ilford Art is lovely but it needs right image or works better for larger prints due to its texture.

Bergger CB warmtone is almost identical to Ilford warmtone but seems to be a tad richer in depth. It is also much slower and responds differently to the developer character. IE LPD 1:1 vs 1:4 (warmer and slower).
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I like the graded paper, Ilfobrom Galerie. It is unfortunate that all the contrast grades are not available, but I find it's subtle midtones, color after selenium toning, and appearance of depth looking through the surface are my favorite for contact prints – if the negative fits in terms of contrast.

I have heard that is has (or had at least) one of the highest silver contents of the available papers, though not sure if that is true.