Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Re: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Sorry for the late response; I haven't had too many opportunities to shoot. Unfortunately, 1 out of 6 frames had a light leak, which isn't too bad. But I'm seeing the same exact leak pattern that I saw with my older holders. So I'm starting to think it may be an issue with the camera/bellows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6883.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	189575
    Anyone else experience a light leak similar to the one above?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I had similar problem and blamed the film holders. However, it was my handling of the dark slide who caused the leaks. When pulling the dark slide, I now keep the back pressing against the rear standard with the other hand. It will avoid the back moving out and releasing the pressure on the film holder, which was the culprit. Light entered when the film holder came out of the light trap at the last instant of pulling the ds. My problem happened on an old Korona camera, which is perfect, except that the spring tension is not too strong.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 3-Apr-2019 at 09:22.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I'll definitely keep this in mind next time I go shooting. Thanks for the advice.

Could possibly be that you are inserting the file holder from the wrong side? On my Arca Swiss there is the correct side, and then there is the other side I had a few leaks (can't say for sure if exactly like yours) until I realized both sides were not the same, even though it might not be apparent when inserting.

Bob

ive often wondered if it was possable to replace the light traps?

i dont see any way to access them although it seems easy if they werent glued together. i gotta sacrifice one n see whats in there.

Interesting; I'm also shooting on an arca swiss. You're talking about the entire ground glass/"film holder, holder" assembly, right?

Yes.

I can't check right now, but IIRC the correct side to insert from is the one with the little round pull thing that is used to secure the reflex viewer. If yours is like mine, the correct side has a beveled ramp and the incorrect side has a square step (the step is small and easy to bypass). Inserted from the correct side with the bevel, the film holder will butt up against the inside of the step when fully inserted. Inserted from the wrong side, the film holder will displace that small step and potentially lead to a light leak. I have a relatively new model (141 rear / 110 front) so I'm not sure if older models are the same, though my 8x10 Arca is the same and it is one of the earlier F-line models (171 front).

At least that is my theory and I am sticking to it!

When I discovered this issue, I made a sticker that says "Insert Film Holder From This Side" and affixed it to the correct side of the groundglass / film holder assembly. Too easy to get caught up in the moment and inserted from the wrong side without this admonishment staring me in the face

Bob