Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael A. Smith has passed away

Re: Michael A. Smith has passed away

Condolences Paula. May you find a dark sky with stars to the horizon Michael.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF2187.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	184602

Sorry to hear this news .
    Condolences to his family and friends.

This is very sad news indeed. I took a workshop with over14 years ago. They gave me a great perspective on field photography. We had some great discussions. Michael and I worked very closely during the workshop on fixing a flat on their truck in Iceland. The two of them were great together, and my heart goes out to Paulaat this time of grief. He leaves behind a huge legacy, and in a sense a kind of immortality. I have several of their books, and will pull them out to study again. I found him to be very kind, stubborn, curious, and dedicated to the craft and to teaching.

Mike Rosenberg

Yes, I'm also sorried to hear this news.
    Condolences to his family and friends.

I'm pretty sure that the purity of his crafting way will be also exemplary for future photographers.

LJ Segil

Passing of Michael A. Smith

Friends,
    The world of photography and particularly large format photography has lost a revered, important, and irreplacable member. Michael A. Smith passed away on November 16 at age 76. He is survived by his loving wife and fellow photographer Paula Chamlee. Michael was an outstanding large format photographer, working primarily with an 8x20 camera, most commonly portraying the landscape in a way uniquely his own. He was an equally fine teacher, mentor and friend and many of us have benefited from his workshops, writings, and guidance. The monographs that he and Paula produced from their travels and other projects are of unexcelled production quality and content. The works are available from Lodima Press (www.lodimapress.com) which also publishes works of other great and contemporary photographers, notably the Fiftieth Anniversary Portfolio of Edward Weston and the complete Portfolios of Brett Weston. Michael and Paula also personally developed Lodima Contact Printing Paper, a modern substitute with the characteristics of the long discontinued and lamented Kodak Azo Paper, and still available through their website, www.michaelandpaula.com. Michael’s final endeavor was the creation of a charitible organization, Arts of Our Time, dedicated to fostering creativity and scholarship in the arts in a way and a setting that would be uniquely the fruits of his and Paula’s lifetime of work in creating art. When brought to fruition, Arts of Our Time will be a unique creation, a great benefit to all who value art, and a tribute to all that Michael represented.
    Those of us lucky enough to have known him will miss him dearly. His life’s work remains to enrich all of our lives.
    Our thoughts are with Paula whose dearest companion has passed on. No one or nothing will ever replace him in her life, but she carries on to finish his legacy, striving to achieve their lives’ final goal to bring art to as many as possible.
    I conclude with an emptiness that cannot be filled but a gladness in my heart that I had the opportunity to be his friend and pupil.
    Laurence J Segil

LJ Segil

Re: Passing of Michael A. Smith

My apologies, I did not see that this note was entirely redundant until the pre-existing thread came up when I inserted this note. Perhaps the moderators could combine my note with the existing thread and terminate this one. Sorry for any trouble that I may have caused, certainly none intended.
    Larry

No problem, threads merged. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this sad occasion. - Oren

Amen, Larry, a bright light has gone out.

Beverly Hills, California

I remember as while back he was contemplating destroying all of his negatives. I hope he reconsidered. I'm sure hes got a great body of work in his negatives and hope a home can be found for them. Wishing his wife peace and access to resources moving forward. I'm sure it's a tough time for her losing her life partner.

multiplex

sorry to hear this. my condolences to his family and friends.

I just heard the news about Michael today. Dan Smith's post in the beginning of this thread characterized Michael very well. I was fortunate to have met and known Michael. Both he and Paula were dedicated to their work and Michael carved out a unique niche in his style and approach to photography. He will be missed.

Finally, I know there are those in the LF community that disliked Michael; some going so far as to accuse him of being a snake oil salesman. Never the less he was a giving individual and stood up for what he believed in. He will be missed by the LF community.