Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael A. Smith has passed away

Re: Michael A. Smith has passed away

It's a sad day. Michael was relentless in his dedication and passion for vision and craft. His contributions to the medium he loved were immense, and his knowledge generously shared. I fondly recall our good times together over the years. I will miss Michael.

My heartfelt condolences to Paula and family.

Merg

Heartbreaking news. I had the opportunity to spend time with Michael and Paula at their home and also had them stay at our home here in Colorado several times. We had many marvelous times together with them that I will cherish and remember fondly. My heart and prayers go out to Paula and the extended Smith family.

I met him once at Photo LA many years ago and we have lost another great photographer. RIP, Michael!

What a great loss ! My condolences to Paula. May his memory be eternal !

Andrej Gregov

I had the pleasure of taking a workshop with Michael and Paula several years back. It was fantastic and I consider it one of the foundational elements of my photographic education. I will always remember Michael. And I will surely continue supporting the Lodima business. Condolences to Paula and all of Michael's close friends.

I cant add much to what's been expressed already. Michael was a dear friend and I spent a great day and lunch at their house not too long ago. He will be missed by the photographic community. You were a great inspiration to me and many others

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Sad news indeed. He lived his life dedicated to his art and cut no corners. A consummate perfectionist in everything he did. Glad to have met him and learn from him and Paula. A tireless worker. We saw him in August and, even though he was recovering from a stroke, he was talking about his next publishing adventure. A very generous soul who will be missed. RIP. Our thoughts are with Paula and family during this time of grief.

I found this video of an interview with him. https://vimeo.com/60522438?fbclid=Iw...yr352RfMbQn608
    Excellent video. Being new to the LF, I had no opportunity to hear about Michael and Paula until now. True artists worth studying, I could only get books by Paula in Amazon, but I have not been able to find a book by Michael. Their website link to purchase is not working.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

This is very sad news to me. Michael's feedback helped me greatly to become a better photographer. He was always generous with his time and perceptive in his comments and advice. My heart aches for Paula, who is a saint. A true, uncompromising original who made a real contribution. RIP.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

My heart goes out to Paula. A wonderful woman and artist.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I had the distinct pleasure of attending one of Michael & Paula's Vision Workshops a few years ago.
    I was blown away by their passion, dedication, incredible energy, and mastery of B&W large format photography.
    Shortly after the workshop and with a decidedly new & enlightened approach I began my journey in 8x10 photography.
    It is with great sadness that I read about Michael's passing.
    Michael will be greatly missed by all who crossed paths with him in person or who know him through his work.
    My deepest condolences to Paula, both families, and all other loved ones.
    Michael's spirit will surely live on in his work for generations of photographers to come.
    Drew Wagner